truck take forever to heat-up

Page 1 of 2
Hi, Have a 94' 350 4x4. The truck takes 10 minutes (32 degree day) to reach a water temp of 120 degrees. My other vehicles warm to 140 in 5 minutes. I
have never had a vehicle that takes so long to warm-up! I have flushed the cooling system have all new fluids filled to proper level. Have tried 3 differnt Thermostats, all to no avail. Any Suggestions?
Thanks, Mr Ranger
How many miles are on the engine? I have the same problem and I have half-assed attributed it to an engine getting loose. Any input on this from ANYONE?!?!?!

What is the temp of the thermostat?

137,000 miles. I doubt if that is it though, the engine is strong, dosen't burn oil. The thermostats I've tried are 190, 175, 160. No difference in any of them. Manufacture I believe calls for the 190 - 195.
Mr Ranger
most problems like you describe are related to the thermostat it takes my 92 k1500 with 350 a little while to warm up on a cold day.
cars with electric fans normally warm up faster.......
I run a 180 degree thermostat in my truck and it runs fine the OEM is a 195 thermostat.
If you have a good thermostat in the truck and don't have any other problems then I would consider it normal unless this is a new issue?

Elbert Clarke
elbert.clarke**@us.army.mil
New truck to me. Have had alot of vehicles in my 31 years of driving (47 years). Never have I had a vehilce take so long to reach temp. I have a 350 in my boat and it heats up to 160 in 5 minutes or less. Same engine in truck takes 10 minutes to heat to 120, doesn't make sense. Realize probably have considered the items that would make a differnce in temps. Yet wondering if this is par for this vehicle? (By the way: live on island and had to break two inchs of ice to put boat up for the year.)
Mr Ranger
Missed the first post, but is this temp. reading you're giving us from the OEM gauge? May be that the ending unit is not reading right, had it happen to me, didn't think it was right that the truck was only running at just over 150 in the middle of summer. See if there's some other way of reading the temp., or replace the coolant temp. sending unit.

Go to your local Chev dealer and get a OEM stat. Aftermarket do not seem to work as well or last as long Good Luck

warm-up, to put out heat. I don't need a gauge to know that I'm freezing! I Do though believe the gauge is close enough, it does seem to corespond to temp of the thermostat, once warmed-up.
Thanks, Mr Ranger
Re: truck take forever to heat-up Top Post.... Hers one for ya...What is the ratio of coolant to water in your system...If you have more water in freezing weather it will slush up....Deending on the ambient temp outside pluse the windchill factor.......you may only need to flush your system and replace the coolant using aroung a 80 to 20 mixture 80 being coolant 20 water...Unlike popular belief you need water to activate the antifreez..thus keeping it from freezing or slushing up.....Its like the salt thing where you throw salt on ice it melts...ok but it has to be above freezing to do so right because it will just keep freezing what it melts.... Steve C Group: alt.autos.4x4.chevy-trucks Date: Sun, Jan 11, 2004, 7:54pm (CST+6) From: snipped-for-privacy@sonny.net (MrRanger)
Missed the first post, but is this temp. reading you're giving us from the OEM gauge? May be that the ending unit is not reading right, had it happen to me, didn't think it was right that the truck was only running at just over 150 in the middle of summer. See if there's some other way of reading the temp., or replace the coolant temp. sending unit. Mike, Working off gauge on dash. Bottom line though, takes forever to warm-up, to put out heat. I don't need a gauge to know that I'm freezing! I Do though believe the gauge is close enough, it does seem to corespond to temp of the thermostat, once warmed-up. Thanks, Mr Ranger
The_Gear snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (Steve Cook) wrote in

Just flushed and have about a 65% antifreeze mix. Good down to 40 below.
Mr Ranger
On Sun, 11 Jan 2004 19:45:50 -0600 (CST), The_Gear snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (Steve Cook) wrote:

I have kept a container of pure antifreeze in the trunk for at least the last 30 years or so and I have NEVER seen slushy antifreeze. Northwestern Ontario where it get real cold for extended periods.
The wind can huff and puff all it wants but it simply CANNOT get any colder than the thermometer reads - actual temperature. Just SEEMS colder = windchill -- Regards Gordie
Re: truck take forever to heat-up Group: alt.autos.4x4.chevy-trucks Date: Mon, Jan 12, 2004, 8:56pm (CST+1) From: snipped-for-privacy@nolalu.on.ca (TheNolaluBarnOwl) On Sun, 11 Jan 2004 19:45:50 -0600 (CST), The_Gear snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (Steve Cook) wrote: Hers one for ya...What is the ratio of coolant to water in your system...If you have more water in freezing weather it will slush up....Deending on the ambient temp outside pluse the windchill factor.......you may only need to flush your system and replace the coolant using aroung a 80 to 20 mixture 80 being coolant 20 water...Unlike popular belief you need water to activate the antifreez..thus keeping it from freezing or slushing up.....Its like the salt thing where you throw salt on ice it melts...ok but it has to be above freezing to do so right because it will just keep freezing what it melts.... You had better study up on windchill. I have kept a container of pure antifreeze in the trunk for at least the last 30 years or so and I have NEVER seen slushy antifreeze. Northwestern Ontario where it get real cold for extended periods. The wind can huff and puff all it wants but it simply CANNOT get any colder than the thermometer reads - actual temperature. Just SEEMS colder = windchill
--
Regards
Gordie
The Gear snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (Steve Cook) wrote in message (Steve

Windchill is only felt by "warm" things. The wind chill would help the antifreeze cool down faster, but would never get below ambient temperature. It truely just FEELs colder. It is a calculation, just like Horse Power isn't an actual measurement (show me a HP gauge), just a calculation. However TORQUE is a true measurement (just like temperature). Horse power is a calculation: (TORQUE X RPM)/ 5,252 http://auto.howstuffworks.com/horsepower.htm a good article For Windchill infoz: http://science.howstuffworks.com/question70.htm
-The Lonely Grease Monkey 1985' K5 305CUI TH700R4 NP208 KJ's successor
"Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, then he who believes what is a wrong." - Thomas Jefferson
On Tue, 13 Jan 2004 05:31:05 -0600 (CST), The_Gear snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (Steve Cook) wrote:

In about 30 years I have NEVER seen jelly antifreeze. Google for antifreeze MSDS and you can see that the freezing temp of antifreeze is not listed. Probably because it is unatainable. -- Gordie
"A certain sick woman in Borgomanero was visited by the Padre through bilocation; she begged him to leave her some remembrance of his visit, at which he placed his wounded hand on the edge of her bed. Five boodstains in the form of crosses remained upon the sheet, a fact that needs no explanation."
Booklet - Who is Padre Pio?, page 34 - Published 1974 Tan Books and Publishers, Inc.P.O. Box 424 Rockford, Illinois 61105
On Tue, 13 Jan 2004 05:31:05 -0600 (CST), The_Gear snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (Steve Cook) wrote:

stand corrected. http://www.ashchem.com/adc/chemicals/faq_answer.asp?typeID=3&is_header=N
Still, at no time have I ever seen this with my own eye and I have opened the jug on many a cold day only to find liquid. -- Gordie
"Several hundreds of miraculous cures meanwhile had been registered: cures of tuberculosis, Pott's disease, blindness, deafness, spinal meningitis, cancer, paralysis and many other afflictions of which Father Fonseca, for example, gives ample accounts, with names, dates, and details, in his well-documented book. Only last June (1946) there was a great sensation over the instant healing of Miss Maria Jos da Silva of Tomar, of tuberculosis. The following September 13, when a lame youth threw away his crutches during a procession, and walked upright for the first time in many years, he was congratulated by a great throng of men and women, many of whom were weeping with joy, amoung them the ex-Queen of Italy and her daughter. Of the moral cures--the conversions, the broken homes restored, the return of hafdened sinners to the practice of the Faith--there have been thousands" Our Lady of Fatima by William Thomas Walsh, Doubleday books, first published 1954 ISBN - 0-385-02869-5
I have only seen it once to be honest..But will probly never see it agian...Just wanted to make sure he didnt have too much water ...That will surly slush up...I looked at the sight you posted and I too learned a few things... Thanks Steve C
Re: truck take forever to heat-up Group: alt.autos.4x4.chevy-trucks Date: Tue, Jan 13, 2004, 10:08pm (CST+1) From: snipped-for-privacy@nolalu.on.ca (TheNolaluBarnOwl) On Tue, 13 Jan 2004 05:31:05 -0600 (CST), The_Gear snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (Steve Cook) wrote: Re: truck take forever to heat-up Group: alt.autos.4x4.chevy-trucks Date: Mon, Jan 12, 2004, 8:56pm (CST+1) From: snipped-for-privacy@nolalu.on.ca (TheNolaluBarnOwl) On Sun, 11 Jan 2004 19:45:50 -0600 (CST), The_Gear snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (Steve Cook) wrote: Hers one for ya...What is the ratio of coolant to water in your system...If you have more water in freezing weather it will slush up....Deending on the ambient temp outside pluse the windchill factor.......you may only need to flush your system and replace the coolant using aroung a 80 to 20 mixture 80 being coolant 20 water...Unlike popular belief you need water to activate the antifreez..thus keeping it from freezing or slushing up.....Its like the salt thing where you throw salt on ice it melts...ok but it has to be above freezing to do so right because it will just keep freezing what it melts.... You had better study up on windchill. I have kept a container of pure antifreeze in the trunk for at least the last 30 years or so and I have NEVER seen slushy antifreeze. Northwestern Ontario where it get real cold for extended periods. The wind can huff and puff all it wants but it simply CANNOT get any colder than the thermometer reads - actual temperature. Just SEEMS colder = windchill I am Googling for antifreeze and according to what this site says I stand corrected. http://www.ashchem.com/adc/chemicals/faq_answer.asp?typeID=3&is_header=N Still, at no time have I ever seen this with my own eye and I have opened the jug on many a cold day only to find liquid.
--
Gordie
"Several hundreds of miraculous cures meanwhile had been registered:
May this be of some help ? In fact windchill will not more than likely freeze but your antifreeze will.If it gets cold enough.....t....NO matter heres some info on antifreeze ..And the info al Alaska Science Forum Don't Fill Her Up with Antifreeze Article #680 by Larry Gedney This article is provided as a public service by the Geophysical Institute, University of Alaska Fairbanks, in cooperation with the UAF research community. Larry Gedney is a seismologist at the Institute. The freezing point of an anti-freeze/coolant solution depends on the concentration of the solution, and rises when the ratio of antifreeze to water exceeds 60%. With winter approaching, most of us have begun to think about checking our antifreeze. If we're "good" down to, say, 20 below, it's probably wise to put in some more. How much? Well, on the back of most antifreeze cans or jugs, there is usually a table explaining the freezing points of different concentrations of antifreeze and water. Almost all of these tables show values down to about 60 below with a half-and-half mixture, but go no further. That's a pity, because it is at that point that strange things begin to happen. It's not funny to the poor guy who wants to make really sure this winter, and with a "what the heck" attitude, fills the cooling system with pure antifreeze. He will be the one walking back into the house some frosty morning when its 10 below, shaking his head because his car radiator is frozen solid. Thom Wigle of Dow Chemical in Ontario informs me that his office receives several hundred complaints each winter from irate customers complaining that their antifreeze is "no damned good." A typical story is that the customer was using a Dow product undiluted and their engine froze up at around zero. Actually, this is to be expected when one considers that ethylene glycol, the principal component of most antifreezes, freezes at 8 degrees above zero, Fahrenheit. It is only when water is added that the freezing point is depressed. The freezing point of an ethylene glycol and water mixture drops rapidly as the concentration of glycol is increased to a mixture of about 60% antifreeze and 40% water. Around that point, an abrupt turnabout occurs, and as more antifreeze is added, the freezing point rises almost as fast as it had previously dropped. It's clearly a case of what you don't know can hurt you, but I have never seen an antifreeze container with an explanatory note to this effect. Glycols do not have sharp freezing points, and even below the freezing temperatures, a slushy solution exists which will still flow. In the never-never transition zone around -60F and 60% glycol, the mixture can either crystallize like water (particularly when "seeded" by a crystal and agitated) or set to a glass-like solid with no orderly internal crystalline structure. Either way, the result is the same, and thawing measures including strong language are prescribed. [Living in the North Index] [Main Index]
On Tue, 13 Jan 2004 05:54:46 -0600 (CST), The_Gear snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (Steve Cook) wrote:

truck. It poured like water and it spent the night outside. In about 30 years of doing this I have heard all sorts of stories and they get rather fanciful at times BUT up here in the Great White North of Canada I have never observed this solidifying of antifreeze and my jug always sits outside. Years ago I quit looking to see if today is the day it will gel because it never does and we have real weather around here.
AFAIC you dilute it with water to make it cost effective and nothing more. -- Regards Gordie

The mix freezes at a lower temperature than either water or antifreeze does by itself. The article was a good one. Diluting has the benifit of stretching your dollars but the real reason you do it is because of the chemistry. You don't have to believe it if you don't want to. It's still true anyway. Another reason to dilute is that water has better cooling properties than antifreeze. That's also chemistry.