Trying to find specs on my K3500

Bought a military customized 1997 K3500 crew cab. Some of my mechanics refer to it as a Chevy and others refer to it as a GMC. Is there a way to find out which it is ? Also .... Has anyone else experienced the following symptom: Everytime I try to start my truck (warm, cold, wet or dry) it always fails the first time (cranks but doesn't turn over). However, it always

starts the second time I crank it and runs like a dream. I've had all the ignition wiring, plugs, and distributor cap replaced but still no luck.

Reply to
gdog01

OK ... I did a VIN check through CARFAX and it gave me the following:

VIN: 1GCHK33J2VF029412 Year/Make/Model: 1997 CHEVROLET K3500 Body Style: CREW PICKUP Engine Type: 7.4L V8 SFI HO VORTEC

But still intersted in trying to solve my ignition problem if anyone has any suggestions

Reply to
gdog01

"Cranks but won't run." Crank and turn over are the samething.

Try turning the key to the "ON" position and leaving it for a few seconds, then crank and see if it'll start first time.

Reply to
Steve Mackie

Check fuel pump pressure and fuel filter. Also check for some water in fuel. Chevy or GMC, makes no difference for parts because they come off the same assembly line.

Reply to
TheSnoMan

Try cycling the key on and off a few times before starting. Listen for the fuel pump to come on. If doing this results in it starting on the first try, replace the fuel filter and see if the issue goes away. Charles

Reply to
Charles Bendig

Thanks for the tips. Sorry 'bout the terminolgy. That was a couple beers fumbling my words for me.

Reply to
gdog01

No need to be sorry, I was trying to coax the problem you are having from you so we can help you fix the problem. I just thought that because you didn't know where it was that you didn't test it and you are just guessing.

Example would be if your cruise control isn't working and you go through the test procedure and find out that the VSS isn't varying voltage as described in the test procedure so you think the VSS is to blame. When in actual fact you just weren't spinning the wheels fast enough to register, meaning the VSS is not to blame.

Don't want you to spend $21.38US and an hour of your time replacing something that didn't need replacing.

Steve

Reply to
Steve Mackie