Two Fuel Pumps?

When I brought my vehicle in to have water pump/input manifold gasket/radiator replaced the other day, somebody commented that my fuel pump was making an awful
lot of noise.
My experience has been that some are noisier than others... but now that somebody's said it, this thing *does* seem tb noisier than I recall.
Sounds (no pun intended) like a pre-emptive replacement might be in order.
But all this begs a question.
Given that: ---------------------------------------------- - Fuel pumps do inevitably wear out - A fuel pump failure strands you - The fuel pump can't really be replaced in the field (i.e. tough luck if the thing dies on Saturday afternoon...) -----------------------------------------------
Does anybody put in a backup fuel pump?
i.e. the backup just sits there until the first one fails and then there's some way to cut over to the backup.
Unimpeded by any real knowledge, I see it as fairly straightforward: A mod to the gas tank, some plumbing, and a cutover switch.
--
PeteCresswell

Pete try replacing the filter slight restrictions can make these tank punps noisey. Common on GM cars/trucks and may not be indicative of impending failure.

-

Actually noise is a bit of a sign of impending failure. As it wears the toleraced in it increases and it can get noisier but then GM pumps are not know to be quiet either. It is a change in the noise rather than noise itself that indicates a possible problem. ----------------- TheSnoMan.com
One thing that can make their lives longer is keep the tank over half tank. The gas also acts as a coolant on the submerged pumps. We had a blazer that we almost always drove with an almost empty tank... it ate two pumps in one year. Our trucks we keep full and they seem to be good.

Been there done that.... don't know how many times I've been in a traffic jam and stare at the needle... not a good feeling...