Two questions

1. I'm looking at buying a new truck and would like to have some input on the stepside beds. They appear to have fiberglass fenders in the rear. Has anybody had problems with these or
should I stay clear of the stepside.
2. I now have the 5.7 in my 1991 Z71 that I bought new and have 281,000 miles on it without any problems with the motor. My question is how is the 5.3 holding up and how many miles can I expect with it.
Thanks Jeff
I have a '93 4x4 step-side and the fenders are metal, but who knows what they've done in later models. I wouldn't think it would be a great idea to use fiberglass in situations where huge rocks will be flung up from off-road use!
I also have a 5.7 liter, but a guy I work with has the 5.3 in his Tahoe and it blow my doors off! As for holding up, it's probably too early to tell, but the power is definitely there!
-Derek

expect
I have a 89 Chevy Sport Side with 225,000 miles on it, and have not had any issues with the fiberglass fenders...the bed itself is steel an no issues their either. all in all the body as a whole has held up remarkably well. best of all? 2 less pieces to worry about rust!
On Fri, 15 Aug 2003 10:48:42 -0400, "Snowman" <somethingorotherdotcom> wrote:

on
or
My 03 Sierra Denali has plastic side panels/fenders on the rear. It's not a step-side in the usual sense; it has a full size bed but the fenders have to extend farther out than a normal Sierra to accomodate the 4 wheel steering, so it has wheel-well bulges like a stepside. No issues at all, except I find that I get bug splatters on the rear fender, something that never happened on my normal fleetside GMCs. I haven't had it long enough to be sure that rocks won't kick up and damage that fender as more time/miles go by.
HMc