u joints

2002 Suburban, 2 WD. I was told the garage replaced two U joints, and are charging me $300. Is this about right, or am I getting taken? My brother in law is a mechanic and says the latter.
Reply to
bucksmama

The u-joints for my 84 blazer are 12 dollars each. They take 20 minutes apiece. The ones in my 2004 jeep were the same price. So the dealer is charging you 360 dollars an hour. This is called robbery in most places. I would more than complain.

Reply to
Lew Pratt

thank you!

Reply to
bucksmama

Is there a charge on there for the Vaseline?

Reply to
Shades

Maybe a little of both.

I have a 2003 2500HD and the rear one needed replacing, the freakin joint was $121.00. Now, that was dealer price, I have no idea if NAPA or AutoZone has the same joint and what that price would be.

Now..before the rest of you say "Of course they'll have a replacement joint", I also have a 2003 Sunfire that blew a low beam bulb. No one, not one place had a replacement. It is some offbeat bulb like H-9 or something (don't hold me to the number...I forgot the number and am guessing).

The price wasn't that out of line from the dealer, something just over $10...but when you have no options, it's cheap at twice the price.

But, back to the U-Joint...the question isn't am I getting screwed on the price, it is WHY is the freakin thing failing so soon?

Tony

Reply to
Tony

I tried finding an oil filter for my '80 Dastun 210...the ONLY one around was(if you can believe it) was a K&N! $10 dang filter...over twice what the oil cost! There are 8 or 10 parts stores, half of em carried K&N oil filters, and only on of them had ONE to fit, none of 'em had ANY other filter for it!

THAT was an expensive oil change!!!

Reply to
Shades

Shades,... About your oil filter?,... Have you tried

? They have an oil filter for your car. It's a # 21361 for the 1.2L, 1.4L, and 1.5L engines, for a 1980 Datsun 210. This also crosses over to an A/C Delco filter # PF1232, and Fram # PH46 .

GMdude

Reply to
GMdude

This was a few years ago and at the time, NO ONE had one in town, not even NAPA! Cross referencing was done by them all!

Reply to
Shades