***UPDATE COLDSTART***

Hello Kind People who have helped me so far. MarshMonster made a suggestion to park it for the night, unplug the IAC, clear the computer, plug in the Temp Sensor. Marsh is u-r-reading here's what happened.

1- Hard starting, would not catch without goosing the throttle. 2- Once running it had the ramping / rough idle thing happen. (FYI - more descriptive-the engine makes that hollow / cavitating big street cam / header sound, I'm all stock, cast iron. If I didn't tap the throttle it would've died. It smelled fuel rich during this time). 3- Nursed it along this way until temp reached 110 deg. 4- Seems like ECU took over, the rich smell went away. 5- RPM suddenly went to 1100 when temp reached 115 deg. 6- Idle was stable / smooth. Put it in gear, idle went to 500 RPM. 7- 160 deg. attemped to drive, impossible throttle stumble. (FYI - I held the gas pedal in one place waiting for the power to come on but got big stumble instead. Repeated / same results 2-3 times. When I gave it a little more gas, I felt / heard it backfire through the "carb" TBI. 8- Get this... NO CODES / NO CHECK ENGINE LIGHT!

Of course the engine will not do this if I unplug that stupid coolant temp sensor. I'm starting-2-take this personally... Signed, "Ticked-off in Oregon..." NHRA

Reply to
NHRA

You say your timing is set at 10 to 12 degree advance:

What are the base timing specs on the information label, and also. At this point, I'm starting to lean towards a mechanical problem.

Check your EGR again for carbon build up, and loose carbon chunks, also, did you replace any of the injectors or do a static fuel pressure drop test?

Let us know?

Refinish King

Reply to
Refinish King

If it runs fine with the CTS unplugged, I'd say it's safe to assume the CTS is shot and a $12 part is in order.

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

I'd agree with you Doc:

But we've been diagnosing this headache in the stomach over the net. For about three days now.

I'd start at the CTS, then see what the dillio is?

Nice to see you Doc!

Refinish King

Reply to
Refinish King

I'd agree with you Doc:

But we've been diagnosing this headache in the stomach over the net. For about three days now.

I'd start at the CTS, then see what the dillio is?

Nice to see you Doc! Refinish King =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

Normally I would agree also...cept he's already changed it once. But... That's not to say the new one isn't bad though.

marsh ~:~ =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

Reply to
Marsh Monster

Hi Marsh:

I've gotten more than a few defective CTS's in my day.

Thermistors are a pain in the sack!

Especially ATC (Automatic Climate Control) in ford and GM.

Refinish King

I'd agree with you Doc:

But we've been diagnosing this headache in the stomach over the net. For about three days now.

I'd start at the CTS, then see what the dillio is?

Nice to see you Doc! Refinish King ============== ==============

Normally I would agree also...cept he's already changed it once. But... That's not to say the new one isn't bad though.

marsh ~:~ ======== ========

Reply to
Refinish King

Hey Marsh, Doc & Refinish King...NHRA here, I've replaced the CTS, again & that seemed-2-do-da-trik! I just need to do a little carbon clean-up here & there, possibly tweak the timing & stare at the engine while it's running for a little while, and that should do the trick. Something finally occured-2-me while I was driving it, thinking about your suggestions, and listening to an ever so slight, inconsistant acceleration rattle, (with the timing set @ 0 deg. BTDC and everything but the CTS plugged in...."Of course it rattles a little, the computer thinks it's cold, not 170 degrees! DUHH...!" Timing advance / retardation issues. Oh well, live and learn. Could'nt have done it with out your help. O.K. What's next...world conquest or what??? Thnx. Again. NHRA

Reply to
NHRA

I say world conquest:

Take all the good looking women, and leave the ugly ones for the natives!

LOL

Refinish King

Reply to
Refinish King

. . =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

Could'nt have done it with out your help.

O.K. What's next...world c I say world conquest:

Take all the good looking women, and leave the ugly ones for the natives!

LOL Refinish King =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D NHRA, glad to hear she's fixed. Thanks fer the feedback.

hmmmm...... world conquest.....??

hmmmmm.....

Hey guys, could we start in Afghanistan?

~:~ marsh ~invisions fields of poppy....~ =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

Reply to
Marsh Monster