Update:Hood Latch

Hi guys,

Per many suggestions, tried pushing down on the hood and having the wife pull the release; also tried beating the shit out of the hood with the lever both in and out and no dice.

AFAICT the cable is intact, as I hear the latch mechanism moving when the release lever is pulled.

Only interesting thing, when I push down on the hood then pry up on it, I get a single "click" from the latch.

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

Doc,

Sounds like my '93 Sonoma. Try prying the hood up with your fingers after you pull the lever. I sometimes have to do that to get the hood open. If you push it down, you just relatch it.

RJ in WV

Reply to
RJ in WV

As your pulling up Doc:

Have your wife push the handle back in, to release the latch fully. It's common.

Good luck!

Refinish King

Reply to
Refinish King

Already did that, no dice.

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

Already did that too Refinish, no dice. She's acting like a real managa la misere...................

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

Time for a hit:

And a burial at sea!

If you know what I mean?

LOL

Refinish King

Reply to
Refinish King

Doc,

Dang!

Okay, you've probably tried this too, but just in case. Have the missus pull and hold the latch lever out while you lift on the hood.

Otherwise get the axe out and hack the corners off the hood, then pry it off the latch. You don't need no steenkin' hood! ;o)

RJ in WV

Reply to
RJ in WV

How does the grille come off of the '88 trucks?

My old '02 and the new '04 can have the grilles removed without opening the hoods. They're only held in with these wedge shaped clips.

With the grille removed, I get full access to the latch.

Reply to
Marc Westerlind

the hoods. They're only held in with these wedge shaped clips.

Marc, are you sure? I have a 99 Z71 and I've had the grille out a few times. I have the wedge shaped clips on the outside edge and each side. Then I have 4 phillips twist-locks. I have to raise the hood and remove the plastic cover between the grille and the radiator to get to the top ones. I walked out just now to make sure and I'm certain my grille won't come out without raising the hood. If all you have to do is pop the grill out to have access to the hood release, it would defeat the purpose of having an inside release. Its supposed to be a theft deterrent feature and anybody could just pull on the grille and it would just pop off. My 02. . . .

Reply to
George

Actually seeing as your grill is plastic anyone COULD pull on your grill and have full access to the latch....

~KJ/TLGM

Reply to
KJ