update on ghost driver

I still have a 1979 surburban 1500 4 wheel drive with a steering problem. I think i've isolated the problem( jerking suddenly to the left and right). It seems that after i've made a turn especially a 90
degree turn at low speed the pulling to the one side then the other starts.Is it possible the steering gear being worn is causing this? I've checked the stabliizer arm ,and its still bolted firmly in snipped-for-privacy@mindspring.com
If you're calling the steering damper a stablizing arm,then you have'nt really checked it.(it is a horizontally mounted shock absorber,with one end attached to the tie rod and the other end tothe frame).Undo one end and see if there is resistance to pushing and pulling on it.If not,replace it.That will stop the "dance" the the truck is doing. Ed

FIGHT BACK AGAINST SPAM!
Thanks Ed...Dionysus On Tue, 30 Sep 2003 07:45:05 -0700, "Desert Ed"

I have a 94 chevy silverado truck 4x4: The 95 GMC service manual describes a steering shock absorber being installed on trucks fitting all my spec.s by vin #. Do you know if the '94 trucks should have a steering shock absorber? Or did they start installing them in 95?
I think the best way to find this out is to either look to see if it's there, or list the RPO codes from your vehicle here and someone will tell you if it's there.
Steve

You guy's are looking in the wrong place ,,,,,,,,, it has nothing to do with the steering gear........ its the universal joints in the front axle's that are seized or begining to any way. When you turn the steering, the u- joint has to move and if its screwed it will stick in the turned position and not let the wheel return to center. Had it happen on many 4x4s with solid front axles
Dave.

I think it very well could be your hubs. I had the very same problem and it turned out that it was the hubs (locking in and out, causing the axle shafts to turn, therefore causing the steering to pull to whatever side the hub was locked in). May not be the case, but I had the exact same problem.
John
Wheel bearings? 79 hubs would be manual locking hubs......engaged or not. Universal joints as mentioned below also good possibility.
JWH wrote:

x-- 100 Proof News - http://www.100ProofNews.com x-- 3,500+ Binary NewsGroups, and over 90,000 other groups x-- Access to over 800 Gigs/Day - $8.95/Month x-- UNLIMITED DOWNLOAD
Well first the bad news i replaced the steering dampner and while the sudden swings to the right then left are not as wide the problem still exists.While i've done some tune ups and brake work i admit i'm totally lost on this problem.How would the front u joints cause the truck to veer out of control (Mostly after turns it seems). I have no trouble turning the wheel as mentioned it just swerves to the right then left 3 or 4 times after just about every turn ususally the 90 degree snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net On Wed, 01 Oct 2003 18:31:10

and it

shafts
hub was

Thanks for the follow up as i said this has me nervous as heck when i drive ,and snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net On Sun, 5 Oct 2003 11:38:37

Sorry for the late reply. Check the u-joints on the front axles. Had a similar prob on my "87 K5.
Appreciate the feedback i'll look at them...Don/ snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net

Had similar problem on a '78 K5 Blazer; great truck rest his soul (was a male truck) with a 427. Unfortunately Plowing in New England and dunkings in the ocean ate it up.
I too replaced all of the usual suspects in order to "tighten up" the front end. Sure each replacement was better than the last until I read an article in Four Wheeler magazine, and purchased a "Hit Man" alignment machine. Spot on let me tell you this thing is great for the solid front axles of lore.
The key is to toe-in as the wheels tend to roll outward at speed, a good alignment guy can do this for you, kind of like the 75 year old guy I know who still repairs copper-brass radiators.
Once in a while you have to give up the ghost!
Have a great one!
Bush
1952 GMC stepside longbed 2001 GMC Z-71 SLT 5.3 with the Goodies 2004 GMC 2500 HD Dmax/Ally with the Goodies on order
BTW, MTBE is in the press again tonight.
On Tue, 30 Sep 2003 01:10:09 -0400, DIONYSUS

I just had the same problem on a 85 Ranger. It too was the axle u-joints after replacing everything else. Next time I'll ask here. The ford truck newsgroup people didn't help.
~
update on ghost driver Group: alt.autos.4x4.chevy-trucks Date: Tue, Sep 30, 2003, 1:10am (CDT+1) From: snipped-for-privacy@mindspring.com (DIONYSUS) I still have a 1979 surburban 1500 4 wheel drive with a steering problem. I think i've isolated the problem( jerking suddenly to the left and right). It seems that after i've made a turn especially a 90 degree turn at low speed the pulling to the one side then the other starts.Is it possible the steering gear being worn is causing this? I've checked the stabliizer arm ,and its still bolted firmly in place....
snipped-for-privacy@mindspring.com ~~~~~ ~~~~~ Dionysus,
I've read the thread to date.....
let me ask.....
Have you replaced ANYTHING other than the steering damper?
Have you done ANYTHING at all to the truck, on the frontend??
Marsh Monster ~try'n to help~ `
No i haven't replaced anything else on the front end lately.Last march when the problem originally surfaced i had the tie rod ends replaced ,and the as well as the pitman arm.I believe the garage had to tighen the adjusting nut on the steering box in order to align the front end afterword.They (midas) think that the steering box needs to be replaced as the adjusting bolt is tightened all the way down and still the steering feels loose, and swerves when snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net On Wed, 8 Oct 2003 12:53:23 -0500 (CDT), snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (Marsh Monster) wrote:

Although the steering box is in need of replacment the ball joints seem to be the main problem had them done upper and lower on both sides and it goes where i point it! Big improvment!!!!... snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net On Thu, 09 Oct 2003 00:16:42

My 1991 K1500 did the same thing, but only to the left...turns out that I had a cv joint about to explode, and it was "locking up" causing the steering wheel to attempt to jump out of my hands.
however, your 1979 will be a solid front axle, so this doesn't apply :(