Upgrading headlight bulbs/01 GMC Sierra 1500

I would like to ask the groups advice/'experience on upgrading my OEM headlight bulbs to newer brighter and further reaching bulbs on my 2001 GMC Sierra 1500 4X4 5.3ltr. SLT.
I find that my stock lights don't provide enough light on dark rural roads. Your experience would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Dean

One word of caution. Whatch the wattage of some of those aftermarket replacements and some can be 100 watts or more and that can melt your plastic light housing under right conditions. Limt bulbs to about 70 watts. Stock bulbs are usually around 65/55 watts (hi/low beams). You might try Sylvainia Silver Stars and might check headlight adjustment to because if they are set wrong is will lack at times. Pickups are rarely right on adjust ment unless they are stock and very lightly loaded. If it has been lifted and such, the lights will be out of adjustment.

TheSnoMan.com
Vettester wrote:

Not much you can legally do. Wander over to http://danielsternlighting.com/home.html and you will find some good info on lights and improvements. Along with some recommended fixes.
--
Steve W.

This relay works great on my truck. It keeps your low beams on when you highbeams are on.
http://www.painlesswiring.com/webcatalog/catview.php?SearchField

Check out this link expensive but as soon as I can afford it Im there http://www.brightheadlights.com/Chevy-HID-Headlights.htm

Some good points Sno Man. More than likely, aiming is not correct on most trucks, and a slight adjustment might be in order. Of course, one doesn't want lights that are too high in aim, and may blind oncoming drivers, orbe a nuisance to drivers who are in front of you on the road.
I did mine by "eye" with the proper tools on a dark deserted country road. I tweaked a little at a time, and tested. It was a somewhat lenghty process, and using some sensible experience adjusted them that they are the way they should be, without being a safety hazard to other drivers on the road.
I also noted that many vehicles today seem to have the left beam pointed so far to the right, to be of no benefit when driving. Have others ever noticed this?
One should note that some aftermarket Lamps are actually no higher in wattage than the stock lamps. One my '97 Tahoe, the stock lamps were 55/85 watts if I remember correctly.
I upgraded to PIAA Lamps from Performance Parts, and these suckers were quite costly, about $130 for the two pairs of Lamps. Were they worth it? In a word, yes they were.
Again, if I remember correctly, the upgraded PIAA Lamps were 85/110 watts, and no, I have never had a problem with melting, or discoloring Lenses on my Truck, they still look like brand spankin new in fact. The Lamps have been in my Truck for a good 7-1/2 years. I am the original owner of the truck.
As another has recommended, I had also upgraded at that time with the painless wiring Hi-4 Kit from Performance Parts, and this was a very worthy, and beneficial upgrade on the really dark roads. Mark