Urgent help needed! 1996 Chevy Silverado ignition key wont turn. My truck is stranded.

I have a 1996 chevy 4x4 silverado. The key is ont he off position and wont turn. I bought a new cylinder, but in order to replace the old cylinder you have to be able to put it in the "run" position which I cant do. I have it the column and steering wheel all to no avail.

Can anyone help me? I will have to drill it out I guess. If I cant get it in run where exactly would I drill? Directly in the key hole?

I really appreciate any help. My truck is stuck at work and I plan on leaving early in the morning to work on it.

Also , does anyone know if the air bag needs to be removed?

I really appreciate it!

Reply to
stryped