used truck purchase advice

Going to look at a new work today and need some help. '95 K1500 148K 5spd. Owner is saying engine was replaced with an earlier model 5.7L (still fuel injected). Is here an online reference for casting numbers on the block, I'd like to verify the age and size ? Claims there is an exhaust leak and that the plugs are fouling out every couple of days as well. Thoughts on that?. The price on the truck is right considering the older engine swap and some of the problems (cosmetically and mechanically). My concerns are with the engine and any computer related problems that may occur with a swap (source for the plugs issue?). Appreciate anything you can offer. tia

Reply to
david

Sounds like it may be more trouble than its worth. For me the red flags are:

  1. "engine was replaced with an older engine" So first off, the service manual MAY not jive with what you have and we have no idea what kind of condition this engine is in. Computers are picky. You take one engine with an 02 sensor and swap it with the same engine with an air/fuel ratio sensor instead of an O2. (They look similar.) You'll can have all sorts of emissions issues. I think it was Toyota who had O2 or A/F sensors depending on whether it was a Federal or CA car. Irregardless, they required different computers and if you had the wrong one, everything was screwed up.
  2. Exhaust leak, usually easy to fix. But can add up. Everytime I work on an exhaust system -- some rusted out part breaks. Is this something you want to deal with?
  3. Plugs fouling every couple of days. I'm reminded of a Toyota Truck that kept showing up with oil coated plugs. Owner didn't want to spend to send the head out. But it probably needed seals and valve guides.

I'd stay away from this one.

__________________ Note: To reply, replace the word 'spam' embedded in return address with 'mail'. N38.6 W121.4

Reply to
Barry S.