V6 to V8

i have a chevy 1500 5 speed 4.3 liter v6. i want to put in an 87 305. not sure what it came out of but is in good shape..........i need to know what exactly i would need to do to make the swap clean and easy.........will my transmission bolt up and will the engine mounts match up? i appreciate any suggestions as to what to do :)

Reply to
crackerjack05

What year to what year? You said engine was a 87 you thought but nothing about truck. The bellhousinfg is the same but if you are looking for a look of power in this swap, this is not going to do it because a 87 305 TBI engine is pretty tame and low speed torque wise about the same as your current V6. If you are swapping for power, use a 350, not a 305. If your 4.3 is in good shape I would not bother for the little you would gain in this swap. The 4.3 is a 350 minus two cylinders so it does respond well to warming it up.

Reply to
SnoMan

"SnoMan" wrote: > [quote:26f8d59c77="crackerjack05"]i have a chevy 1500 5 speed > 4.3 liter v6. i want to put in an 87 305. not sure what it > came out of but is in good shape..........i need to know what > exactly i would need to do to make the swap clean and > easy.........will my transmission bolt up and will the engine > mounts match up? i appreciate any suggestions as to what to > do[color=darkred:26f8d59c77][/color:26f8d59c77][color=red:26f8 > d59c77][/color:26f8d59c77][color=orange:26f8d59c77][/color:26f > 8d59c77] > :)[/quote:26f8d59c77] > > What year to what year? You said engine was a 87 you thought > but nothing about truck. The bellhousinfg is the same but if > you are looking for a look of power in this swap, this is not > going to do it because a 87 305 TBI engine is pretty tame and > low speed torque wise about the same as your current V6. If > you are swapping for power, use a 350, not a 305. If your 4.3 > is in good shape I would not bother for the little you would > gain in this swap. The 4.3 is a 350 minus two cylinders so it > does respond well to warming it up.

its a ?91 1500 5 speed short bed...............well what will i have to do to install a 350....what changes will have to be made?

Reply to
crackerjack05

what would be a cheap but productive way of swaping the two.......i don?t want a whole lot of power but definitly more than my v6

Reply to
crackerjack05

350....what

what would be a cheap but productive way of swaping the two.......i don?t want a whole lot of power but definitly more than my v6[/quote:477df2a4ea]

If you can find a complete TBI 350 it will bolt in (you will need a bigger radiator and a bigger clutch too) and you may be able to use exisiting ECM if engine is about same year though you may have to upgrade the Eprom in it for the V8. Another thought, the 4.3 is not that weak and part of your problem could be gearing and some of those

2wd truck came with 3.08 rear axle ratios which is a real performance killer 6 or V8.
Reply to
SnoMan

"SnoMan" wrote: > [quote:477df2a4ea="crackerjack05"][quote:477df2a4ea="crackerja > ck05"]its > a '91 1500 5 speed short bed...............well what will i > have to do to install a 350....what changes will have to be > made?[/quote:477df2a4ea] > > what would be a cheap but productive way of swaping the > two.......i don't want a whole lot of power but definitly more > than my v6[/quote:477df2a4ea] > > If you can find a complete TBI 350 it will bolt in (you will > need a bigger radiator and a bigger clutch too) and you may be > able to use exisiting ECM if engine is about same year though > you may have to upgrade the Eprom in it for the V8. Another > thought, the 4.3 is not that weak and part of your problem > could be gearing and some of those 2wd truck came with 3.08 > rear axle ratios which is a real performance killer 6 or V8.

so what gears would you suggest....for 235 15............0r 245

Reply to
crackerjack05

Depends on usage really. With your tire size and you want a good compromise with V6 and you haul or tow some. I would suggest a 3.73 because in overdrive it will look like a 2.6 rear axle and cruise at

65 at under 2000 RPMs but it will give more spirted performance in the lower gear and feel like a lot bigger motor was installed. If you do nothing but cruise without a load on flat lands and never tow, a 3.42 might work for you. I ran accross a guy in a forum a few months ago that had a lifted 2WD truck with 37?s!!! He was looking for engine swap info because it was a dog with its V6. I talked him into installing a set of 4.88?s to offset tire size and he was totally pleased with the difference and put off looking for a V8 swap for now because of how much better the truck ran. Engines matter but so does proper gearing and even moreso with a stick sometimes.
Reply to
SnoMan

or you could sell it to someone looking for that drivetrain package and get the truck that comes with what you want

Reply to
William C.