valve clearence

I have a 98 Chevy Silverado Z71,it has a 350 vortec.My manual says to tighten valves until there is no play left,then turn one whole turn and it should be set.This is setting each cylinder seperate.I did this and it will not start.What is the correct setting for this motor? Any info would be helpful.

Reply to
cartinker

You misread the book. You turn the nuts down until all play is removed. This means that you just tighten until the pushrods don't rattle between the rocker arm and the lifter. Then one extra turn. If you tightened them to far already you may have a problem with some valves being bent.

Reply to
Steve W.

Hey Al,I tried what the website sead to do and I'm still not any closer then I was from the start.I have hydrolic roller lifters,the head that I replaced is a reconditioned head with new valves and springs for this particular motor.The book says one full turn,it wouldn't start,my schooling says 1/4 turn,still no good,so I set it at 1/2 turn and it started but ran rough.So while it is running I am ajusting it,still rough.Now I'm fixin to hit it with a hammer.lol But anyway,I shut it off and it will not start again.So,back to aquare one.I do have mechanic schooling,but it doesn't seem to be helping me at the moment.What do you suggest now.

Reply to
cartinker

I have not worked on the newer models

Timing mark on Dead Center, Adjust Certin Rockers.. then turn engine one complete revolution and ADJUST the rest of them On the older models we could use the distrutor Rotor as a reference

Hopefully u havenot BENT your pushrods !

cart> I have a 98 Chevy Silverado Z71,it has a 350 vortec.My manual says to

Reply to
no one

I'm going to take a guess... and say that you didn't set the lifter you were setting to be on the HEEL of the cam when you set it.

There's a million different ways to do this, but maybe that'll point you in the correct direction. (Oh, and 1 turn is good for new parts - 1/2 turn is usually about right for used bits)

Reply to
John Craker

Maybe you got the valves right, but the distributor wrong.

Reply to
Bill W