Valvoline's MaxLife or Mobil one?

Would there be any advantage to going to the Max Life oil at Valvoline, or Mobil One, or something similar? My 95 GMC Sierra with the 350 in it is now at 119,000 and climbing

Reply to
My Own Little Universe

I use Mobil One In my truck and car. When I used it in my car (has about

60k miles) I got a lot of crud out of it. Cleaned it up real good. I later read that if you switch to synthetic, you should change the oil after 1,000 miles the first time you use it. I would have to agree with all the junk it loosened up. Otherwise I am very satisfied with Mobil One, plus you can get it pretty cheap (well as cheap as it gets) at Wal-Mart - about $19 for 5 quarts. Since it is expensive, I will probably alternate Synthetic with non-synthetic, the reps at Mobil said it would be fine to do so.

Reply to
Aaron

Leave the MaxLife where it belongs............on the shelf and go with Mobil

  1. Nothing is better for engines, new or old.

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

Thanks Doc. I was hoping for a qualified opinion from someone

Reply to
My Own Little Universe

So Doc, what's the correct way to do it.......change as normal with the M1? then 1K? Can I ever go back to the 'regular stuff' or do I have to stay with the Mobile?

Reply to
My Own Little Universe

Universe,

Here's how I do it.

1) Switch to Mobil 1 oil + filter. 2) Change oil + filter after 1k miles. 3) Change oil + filter after 3k.

After that, you can run the oil for well over 3k per change; I know some folks use 4-6k intervals with full synthetic; I still run em' every 3k miles just for insurance.

You can switch back to dyno oil anytime; can mix dyno with synthetic, etc. They are fully compatible. Keep yer' eyes open for small oil leaks which might "appear" after M-1 breaks all the gunk loose in yer' engine. I've seen some 350's with 100k develop slight leaks, and I've seen some with 300k remain tight as a drum; personally I've never had Mobil 1 "find" any leaks in my vehix.

Take care,

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

Hmmm...any thoughts on Royal Purple? Jay

Reply to
TerraSonic

Thanks Doc. Doing the changeover tonight...I'll let ya know if I start breakin Mach3 with it...... LOL

Reply to
My Own Little Universe

Can't say I have a valid opinion on it as I've never used it; sorry.

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

I've used Mobil 1 in my cars and trucks for several years and recommend it highly. I also use Mobil 1 for motorcycles in my touring bike. The Mobil 1 for bikes is a bit harder to find around here though and I'm considering trying Amsoil. I've heard good things about it, any opinions?

Don

Reply to
<dnelson

Doc, I'm interested in Royal Purple, as I've read articles about it in two different mags, Hot Rod and I think Road & Track. One thing they said was that it was the only synthetic oil that they ever experienced a dyno noticable increase in horsepower, just by switching motor oil. Jay

Reply to
TerraSonic

I've seen it in the Summit store and in the Jeg's catalogue; it's around $8.99/quart IIRC?

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

Red Line Racing makes a synthetic that is as good or better than Royal Purple from what I've seen. Red Line is not normally considered for street use by most people because it is cost prohibitive compared to Mobil 1. If I owned a race vehicle, it would get it though, but for now my truck gets nothing but Mobil 1.

Big Chris

Reply to
Big Chris