Venting my spleen - and my heater core

'92 s10 Blazer 4.3 4x4 factory air. That established, a little background. Here in the hinterlands of (you guessed it) New Jersey a guy was picking his wife up from work one chilly midnight and decided that the interior of the truck was a little too cool for his wife's comfort. Needless to say the heater core choose that time to start leaking, filling the interior with that wonderful combination of water and antifreeze vapor that we have all come to know and love. Not only did the windshield fog over almost instantly but his glasses as well, making it verrrrry innnterestinng (tribute to Arte Johnson-Laugh In) trying to drive along route 72 at 55 mph. Through the judicious use of his vehicles brakes, some blind (joke) luck and a good deal of panic (no joke) he was able to get safely stopped without killing himself or any of the local wildlife, including drivers coming the other way. The following morning he made some phone calls to try to get the best price for a heater core replacement. The prices ranged from about $150.00 to $225.00 installed. He then had what he considered a stroke of genius, he called the Strauss discount auto parts store where his brother works as a mechanic and was quoted a price over the phone that was only two dollars higher than the lowest price he had been quoted locally. Being a loyal and loving brother he decided to drive the twenty or so miles to said Strauss store and let his brother do the work as he gets paid a commission on the labor charge. So he drives to the shop without incident, arriving slightly before his brother is scheduled to begin work. Parking the truck he saunters nonchalantly inside to present the key to the "service manager" (quotes are mine) , and prepares to wait for the service to be completed. In the course of discussion the "service manager" (see above), informs him that the price is now $256.00 for the job that was quoted at $152.00. In the course of vehemently discussing the minor difference in quotes it was decided that the Strauss store would not be doing the job and Our Hero strode purposefuly out of the store and drove over to his brother's house where he manfully confronted his brother about the minor difference in price quotes. After attempting to enlarge his brother's rectum by tearing him a new one Our Hero drove with a heavy heart back to his domicile where he pondered his next move. Calling the shop where he had gotten the lowest quote he now had some time to kill while waiting for the appointed time to present his slightly soggy Blazer for repair. Due consideration has produced the following thoughts; 1. Always get it in writing. 2. It was NOT his brothers fault. 3. He wishes to express his public apology to his brother for over reacting to the situation. 4. He also wishes to express his apology to the group for a long winded post but it has helped him calm down and look at it rationally (I hope). 5. The moral of our story? I'm not sure there is one. There are so many to choose from, you can pick whatever fits and insert it here.

nomailopened 10/04/03 This post has been sent as an e mail to Our Hero's brother in the hope that the apology will be accepted.

Reply to
No Mail Will Be Answered or Op

. Venting my spleen - and my heater core Group: alt.autos.4x4.chevy-trucks Date: Sat, Oct 4, 2003, 10:58am (CDT+1) From: snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (No=A0Mail=A0Will=A0Be=A0Answered=A0or=A0Opened) '92 s10 Blazer 4.3 4x4 factory air. =A0That established, a little background. =A0=A0Here in the hinterlands of (you guessed it) New Jersey a guy was picking his wife up from work one chilly midnight and decided that the interior of the truck was a little too cool for his wife's comfort. Needless to say the heater core choose that time to start leaking, filling the interior with that wonderful combination of water and antifreeze vapor that we have all come to know and love. Not only did the windshield fog over almost instantly but his glasses as well, making it verrrrry innnterestinng (tribute to Arte Johnson-Laugh In) trying to drive along route 72 at 55 mph. =A0=A0Through the judicious use of his vehicles brakes, some blind (joke) luck and a good deal of panic (no joke) he was able to get safely stopped without killing himself or any of the local wildlife, including drivers coming the other way. =A0=A0The following morning he made some phone calls to try to get the best price for a heater core replacement. The prices ranged from about $150.00 to $225.00 installed. =A0=A0He then had what he considered a stroke of genius, he called the Strauss discount auto parts store where his brother works as a mechanic and was quoted a price over the phone that was only two dollars higher than the lowest price he had been quoted locally. =A0=A0Being a loyal and loving brother he decided to drive the twenty or so miles to said Strauss store and let his brother do the work as he gets paid a commission on the labor charge. =A0=A0So he drives to the shop without incident, arriving slightly before his brother is scheduled to begin work. Parking the truck he saunters nonchalantly inside to present the key to the "service manager" (quotes are mine) , and prepares to wait for the service to be completed. =A0=A0In the course of discussion the "service manager" (see above), informs him that the price is now $256.00 for the job that was quoted at $152.00. =A0=A0In the course of vehemently discussing the minor difference in quotes it was decided that the Strauss store would not be doing the job and Our Hero strode purposefuly out of the store and drove over to his brother's house where he manfully confronted his brother about the minor difference in price quotes. =A0=A0After attempting to enlarge his brother's rectum by tearing him a new one Our Hero drove with a heavy heart back to his domicile where he pondered his next move. =A0=A0Calling the shop where he had gotten the lowest quote he now had some time to kill while waiting for the appointed time to present his slightly soggy Blazer for repair. =A0=A0Due consideration has produced the following thoughts; =A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A01. Always get it in writing. =A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A02. It was NOT his brothers fault. =A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A03. He wishes to express his public apology to his brother for over reacting to the situation. =A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A04. He also wishes to express his apology to the group for a long winded post but it has helped him calm down and look at it rationally (I hope). =A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A05. The moral of our story? I'm not sure there is one. There are so many to choose from, you can pick whatever fits and insert it here. =A0=A0=A0=A0nomailopened =A0=A0=A0=A0=A010/04/03 =A0=A0=A0=A0This post has been sent as an e mail to Our Hero's brother in the hope that the apology will be accepted.

Reply to
Earnest```T``` Bass
[long tale of woe re: heater core]

Two hundred and fifty shpxvat dollars to replace a heater core?

Sheesh!

Wazzit gold-plated?

Reply to
Don Quixote

Two hundred dollars labor, forty dollars heater core, ten dollars taxes. Price did not include flush of cooling system. For that add on another $60.00. Chilton manual called for 2.5 hours labor, which is what they would bill for. The small local shop where the job was done had the heater core removed in fifteen minutes and installed and pressure tested twenty five minutes after receiving replacement from jobber. Heater cover, glove box and dash back in place, add on another 10 minutes. Start it up, let it warm up, pull it out of shop, go back inside get bill, pay bill 5 or 10 more minutes, grand total in time 1 hour. Labor $100.00 (paid willingly) Heater core $46.45 Two feet 5/8 heater hose @ $.95 per ft $1.90 Total $146.35 plus tax of $8.78 grand total $155.13. The old heater core failed due to improper installation by previous owner, Our Hero was able to see marks left due to failure of previous owner to properly install the restraining straps. The lesson? Again, I'm not sure. Add on whatever lesson seems appropriate.

nomail

Reply to
No Mail Will Be Answered or Op

. Re: Venting my spleen - and my heater core Group: alt.autos.4x4.chevy-trucks Date: Sun, Oct 5, 2003, 9:06am (CDT+1) From: snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (No=A0Mail=A0Will=A0Be=A0Answered=A0or=A0Opened) Two hundred dollars labor, forty dollars heater core, ten dollars taxes. Price did not include flush of cooling system. For that add on another $60.00. =A0=A0Chilton manual called for 2.5 hours labor, which is what they would bill for. =A0=A0The small local shop where the job was done had the heater core removed in fifteen minutes and installed and pressure tested twenty five minutes after receiving replacement from jobber. Heater cover, glove box and dash back in place, add on another 10 minutes. =A0=A0Start it up, let it warm up, pull it out of shop, go back inside get bill, pay bill 5 or 10 more minutes, grand total in time 1 hour. =A0=A0=A0=A0Labor $100.00 (paid willingly) =A0=A0Heater core $46.45 =A0=A0=A0=A0Two feet 5/8 heater hose @ $.95 per ft $1.90 =A0 Total $146.35 plus tax of $8.78 grand total $155.13. =A0=A0The old heater core failed due to improper installation by previous owner, Our Hero was able to see marks left due to failure of previous owner to properly install the restraining straps. =A0=A0The lesson? Again, I'm not sure. Add on whatever lesson seems appropriate. =A0=A0nomail .

sounds like a fair price......

sorry to hear about yer brother.

Pop Bunkle

Reply to
Pop Bunkle

I got a new one for my 92 S10 Blazer for $17.98 and put it in, in 1 hour or so. Was quite easy. I'd always heard the horror stories but tried and was surprised at how easy it was.

Reply to
LS

. . . . Did yer brother help yuh?

Reply to