Very rough idle, strong smell of gasoline at startup?

'98 5.7 'burb, 110k miles.
Only happened once - about a week ago - and the idle smoothed out in a few minutes and the smell of raw gasoline went away.
Hasn't happened since, but I figure it's trying to tell me something.
But what?
--
PeteCresswell

The fuel pressure regulator:
Sounds like it's ready to fail at the center or the edge of the diaphragm.
Refinish King
PS Might be an injector ready to fail also.

RE/

This calls for a preemptive replacement, right? i.e. the failure will strand me...?
If so, should somebody who knows what they're doing be able to tell by looking at it? Or isn't it even worth looking....i.e. is the price of the part low enough so that once I pay somebody to disassemble it, they might as well replace it?
Seems like when I toasted the crankshaft sensor, the labor was several hundred bucks and the sensor was something like $14.25....
--
PeteCresswell

If it's intermittent:
No one will be able to tell if they can't duplicate the symptoms. But, neither of the two will strand you completely. You'll just use LOTS of gas till you get it home and to your favorite mechanic.
Unless you can diagnose the regulator from an injector. Which is easy, if it has a fuel pressure test port, and you have the problem more frequently.
Put the fuel pressure gauge on, let it sit over night. If the pressure dropped more than two pounds, take off the vacuum line on the pressure regulator, see if there is raw fuel in it. Also, remove the plugs, spin the engine with the plugs out. If one cylinder spits out raw gas it's an injector. If all do it, the fuel pressure regulator leaked fuel into a vacuum line.
Refinish King