Voltage regulation on 1500 Suburban

Hi y'all.
I have a 2001 Suburban. Recently the voltmeter has been pegging out to 19V intermittently. This is accompanied by the battey symbol appearing on the info center and the airbag light coming on. Also i
here relays clicking in the drivers side fuse box in the dash.
One more thing, when the voltage pegs out, the steering becomes real light - I assume that the power steering is 'stiffened up' by some electrical device.
Can anyone give me some where to start
Steve
Probably a bad alternator. They have internal regulators. You can check the output terminal on the alternator to see if it is loose. Internally its connected to the regulator, this connection may be loose.
cheers

Check the connector at the alternator to insure it is making a good connection. If the alternator is not getting full voltage sent back to it, it will crank up its output.