Vortec 6000 & 8100 Engines

I'm looking into buying a new 2500 4x4 pickup with either the 6000 or 8100 gas engines. I'll use it to pull my 26' trailer from time to time but mostly it'll be for transportation up to the mountains and so on.
Any opinion about these engines is welcome. Also, any potential problems with either engine I'd like to hear about as well.
Thanks
Shawn
I have a 2003 6.0L with 4.10 gear. I am getting about 11.5-12mpg. Totally stock, except the air filter. I would go with a diesel if at all possible. I hear they getting 21+ MPG. My $.02 bruce

"01 Chev with the 5.3. I get 20mpg empty on the hwy and 12.5mpg pulling the camper.
The 6.0 will pull it with no problem...I wouldn't go the 8.1 route unless I had a big 5th wheel....big meaning over 30'.
snipped-for-privacy@netzero.net wrote:

If mountains are in the plan get the 8.1. Although they are rated similarly in HP, the towing difference between them is night and day. The 8.1 will tow better at 5000 feet than the 6.0 will at sealevel. I drove one last month with a 4.10, a 8.1 and the new 6sp ally and it was awesome with GREAT power and with new double OD tranny it was turning about 2100 RPM at 70 MPH in 6th and showing a bit over 15MPG on display. Also for what it is worth, you can special order a 6.0 with a ally if you want for 06.
--

www.thesnoman.com