WARNING" GM's standard operating proceedure

Saturn (GM) STANDARD OPERATING PROCEEDURE
When we at GM discover an epidemic costly flaw in our cars (like casting flaws in our cylinder heads that will cause the head to
eventually CRACK); and before we become aware of the problem, tens of thousands of cars with the flaw have gone off the assembly line to dealers:
We withold that information (sending out a service notice) for as long as we can- so as to get as many of those cars affected, OVER the warranty period. That way, we are not liable to cover the cost of the repair or replacement and we are able to cut our loses!
Also: If a new car customer who has been taking his car to the dealer for regular scheduled maintainance, CHANGES ADDRESS, and the dealer fails to notify the company of the new address and because of this dealer failure- we send out a service notice to the old address and thus the notice never reaches the customer:
When the service notice is returned to us as "undeliverable"; we will NOT make any attempt to reach the customer at his new address and notify him of the service notice. We are not liable for our dealer's failure to notify us of the customer's new address, nor will we take any action against our dealer for this failure in an attempt to compensate the customer,should he have been unaware of the notice and suffers a costly repair bill after his warranty has run out!
Anyone who doubts the above policy can contact (among many others): Grand Rapids (Michigan) Saturn.
(That is; if anyone there has the knowledge of and COURAGE to verify the above policy) signed.
Michael Cohrman snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com
First of all a cracked head will not go undetected for 30k, secondly all mfg's use an independent company to track owners for recalls , RL Polk being one, using state by state registration info. Not to defend GM or anyone else, but some facts here are skewed at best.

-
I've gotten recall notices for my s-10 and astro and never even had the trucks to a dealer for service before. They got it from the state registrations. Wayne

Same thing here. I have gotten recalls for vehicles that I purchased used through private deals.
--
Steve W.

"wayne c" < snipped-for-privacy@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
I second that. I am the third owner of my van purchased from a private dealer.
I got a recall on the sliding electric door.
LS

LS wrote:

We moved in '95 and NEVER got ANY service notice from GM about our Saturn since '95 !!
And was there a recall?

-
Service notice and recall notice are 2 different things. Service notice is sent by a dealer from its database of customers. Recall notice is sent by GM, using vehicle registrations to find the address of the R/O.
On 9 Jun 2006 12:25:43 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

============ snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote: .

============== Did you give them your NEW address???????????
you know......
like all the other important sheet you covered yer arse on by having your mail forwarded............ and contacting the bank that holds yer mortgage.......<g>?
YOU DID !!!!
well them slimeballs!!!!!
~:~ MarshMonster ~licks the stamp and mails out his Penn reel warranty change of addy card...... man.....hate to have to buy another one of them because of stupidity........ or laziness~ ~:~

Marsh Monster wrote:

Dealer (Grand Rapids Saturn)had our new address and failed to send it to the corp.Corp said that dealer is supposed to send in new address info to them when owner comes in for oil changes, repairs. The dealer had the new address for 3 years and never sent it to the company!. So quit the crap about me having to file a Saturn change of address card- which doesn't exist!> ~:~
On 12 Jun 2006 07:15:22 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

As we've said before, when it comes to REALLY important things such as a recall, GM will use the address on the vehicle registration to send the letter to the owner of the vehicle. They don't send anything when there's merely a TSB on the vehicle and GM couldn't care less if your car is due for an oil change, it's up to the dealer to send the oil change reminders. Not to mention that the old dealer couldn't care less if the dealer near your new residence has your contact info.