WATERPUMP REMOVAL

HOW DO YOU GO ABOUT REMOVING CLUTCHFAN FROM WATERPUMP TO INSTALL ON NEW PUMP, THIS PUMP HAS THE THREADED END ON NOSE OF WATERPUMP, ITS OFF OF A

97 5.7 CHEVY SUBURBAN. HELP!!!!!!
Reply to
56JIM

I would like to know how to remove the clutch fan from the waterpump also.

Reply to
countrypreacher

As follows

Alan

Tools Required

J 41240 Fan Clutch Wrench

Caution: Do not use or attempt to repair a damaged cooling fan assembly. Replace damaged fans with new assemblies. An unbalanced cooling fan could fly apart causing personal injury and property damage. 1. Remove the upper fan shroud. Refer to Fan Shroud Replacement . 2. Remove the accessory drive belt. Refer to Accessory Drive Belt Replacement in Engine Mechanical.

  1. Remove the fan and the clutch using the J 41240 . 4. Remove the fan blade from the clutch.

Installation Procedure

Tools Required

J 41240 Fan Clutch Wrench

Caution: Do not use or attempt to repair a damaged cooling fan assembly. Replace damaged fans with new assemblies. An unbalanced cooling fan could fly apart causing personal injury and property damage.

  1. Install the fan blade to the clutch.

Tighten Tighten the bolts to 23 N·m (17 lb ft).

Notice: Use the correct fastener in the correct location. Replacement fasteners must be the correct part number for that application. Fasteners requiring replacement or fasteners requiring the use of thread locking compound or sealant are identified in the service procedure. Do not use paints, lubricants, or corrosion inhibitors on fasteners or fastener joint surfaces unless specified. These coatings affect fastener torque and joint clamping force and may damage the fastener. Use the correct tightening sequence and specifications when installing fasteners in order to avoid damage to parts and systems. 2. Tighten the fan and clutch using the J 41240 .

Tighten Tighten the fan clutch nut to 56 N·m (41 lb ft). 3. Install the accessory drive belt. Refer to Accessory Drive Belt Replacement in Engine Mechanical. 4. Install the upper fan shroud. Refer to Fan Shroud Replacement .

Alan

Here is a pdf with pics...

Alan

Alan

HEY ALAN THANKS FOR THE INFO. ON THE REMOVAL OF PUMP, I GOT THE FAN OFF WITH A GIANT PUMP WRENCH AND A GIANT ADJUSTABLE WRENCH AND A LOT OF MUSCLE WITH A BROKEN KNUCKLE OR TWO, SHOULD HAVE KNOWN GM HAD ANOTHER GREAT IDEA FOR A NEW TOOL. WHAT EVER WAS WRONG WITH THE OLD STYLE STUDS INTO THE PUMP, FOR ME THAT WAS ALITTLE EASIER. NOW THAT I KNOW I NEED A SPECIAL WRENCH FUTURE JOBS WILL BE MUCH EASIER THANKS AGAIN FOR THE INSIGHT HAVE GREAT HOLIDAY SEASON!!!!

Reply to
56JIM

I was wondering if the threads on the fan clutch nut are left handed ?

Reply to
countrypreacher

They werent on the 1995 That i help a neighbor Change

Reply to
no one

you donnot need Special Wrenches

56JIM wrote: