Weak radio reception

I have a 94 Silverado with the factory AM/FM and the separate cassette , and also just got a 92 GMC with a Pioneer AM/FM/CD mounted where the factory cassette goes (factory radio disconnected). Both have the original fender mounted antenna. On either one, the strong FM station that I can pick up for well over 50 miles in other vehicles fades out in about 25, and AM reception is even worse. I have heard that the antennas had problems. What is exactly wrong with them, and what do I need to do to fix the problems? Any help will be greatly appreciataed. Thanks Larry

Reply to
lp13-30

I know this sounds weird, but when tuned to a marginal AM station, open the passenger door. If the signal improves you have a grounding issue in the antenna mount itself. Remove the antenna mount and clean it up or better yet, replace the antenna and cable. Regards, JR

Reply to
JR

Larry, The problem that you have has to do with the sensitivity of the stereo. Most OEM units tend to have a better sensitivity rating then aftermarket units, which is why most people notice a decrease in signal reception when they replace the OE unit. Some will say try a signal booster, but you will be wasting your money.

Reply to
azwiley1

Cheap aftermarket units, that is.

which is why most people notice a decrease in

Reply to
nonsense

No, in most aftermarket units, from Kenwood, to Clarion, to Pioneer and Pioneer Elite, to JVC, to Rockford Fostage. Having installed and sold all those mentioned, plus Sony, Dual, Roadmaster and other cheap ass Wal-mart/Autozone/Checker brands,I know this to be true.

Reply to
azwiley1

Had the same trouble with my

93 s-10 blazer. My trouble was with the antenna connecter which was , on the passenger side, under the hood , right under the blower motor. If you follow the cable from the antenna, from the the fender ,it drops down, under the blower motor, the connector, then heads through the firewall then into the radio. I think you might have the same setup.

Cut out the connector, solder the braid ground and the center conductor, and VOLA! (sic) beautiful music, and your favorite talk show on AM...In other words, get rid of that connector.

My 2 cents, it worked for me!

Reply to
Andy

Won't be the same on the 94 Silverado, that year had a seperate receiver/tuner and cassette set up. Cassette is over near the glove box, there is a little square piece in the dash where the control buttons/knobs/clock is (this is only a control unit). The tuner is down under the dash (center over the tranny hump), not real easy to get out three 8mm bolts, the antenna wire and four plugs in various locations). The antenna is one wire in this case is one wire from the antenna to the tuner pack.

Reply to
azwiley1

READ the OP's post. He is having the same problem with both the '94 OEM radio and the '92 w/Pioneer. If he only had the problem with the Pioneer I could accept your explanation, but he has the SAME problem with the factory and the Pioneer. Now, do you have an explanation for both the factory radio and the Pioneer?

Reply to
Mike Dobony

Can you prove I am wrong? I doubt it, from the looks of it, all you can do is run your mouth. Your right, he did state that and I missed it, however, that DOES NOT prove that I am wrong. When you have as much experience in this particular industry come back and talk to me.

Reply to
azwiley1

I never said you were wrong about the problem with aftermarket. What I said was that your explanation fails to address the OP's problem because it is on BOTH oem and aftermarket radios, unless you mean that by owning a vehicle with an aftermarket radio also affects the other vehicle with the factory radio.

Reply to
Mike Dobony