weight in the back of the truck?

1993 silverado stepside /w cap & 350 V8
How much weight would one put in the back of a truck for winter driving? This is my first winter ever dirving a truck and a rear
wheel drive vehicle at the same time. I managed pretty good with the storm we just had and didn't slide anywhere.
TIRES - Motomaster Roughrider LT235/75/15 at all 4 corners WEIGHT - 3 bags of 30 kg concrete mix      - 4 bags of 20 kg road salt
170 kg ( 374 lb ) total plus weight of the cap
Here's what I do - I take 2x4's and make a box around the wheel wells (basically two long pieces, one in front of wheel well, one behind, then two other shorter pieces bracing from each long one next to the wheel well). This holds the sand bags over the wheel well, and leaves room by the tail gate for me to throw things in. I use sand, and would be concerned that the cement would absorb moisture or get wet enough t ruin it. Also, if one of the bags break, cement will make quite a mess where sand is easy to clean. I have a topper, which weighs something like 250lbs (110ish Kilo). I then have 300lbs (135ish Kilo) of sand in my "box" over the axl. I probably have another 100lbs (45ish Kilo) of other things in back beyond that. That works out to be roughly 290-300 Kilo, and this is in an S-10 with 4x4 X-cab and 4.3L. I have 235/65/15 Goodyear tires. This is good for most anything I come across in Minnesota and South Dakota.
Big Chris
Michael McNeil wrote:

I have a 2000 S-10 ZR2, no weight in the bed and no problems in the snow. I've driven S-trucks in the winter since 98, this is my second the first was a 94 Jimmy. I go to an empty parking lot and put myself into slides and learn how to recover. Haven't driven off the road once. First storm we had after I got this truck I was able to drive 45 on a fairly twisty road with 6" of snow on the ground. I don't suggest it, but with the bigger contact patch I feel fairly stable even without weight in the back.

I thought about running the bed empty for a while and seeing how it reacts. Mostly in a parking lot or something like you tried. I was kinda hoping that the weight of the cap would be enough to get me through.
Most of the driving that I do is on the highway but it's a twisty and hilly part that concerns me.
On Wed, 29 Dec 2004 22:44:04 GMT, Mike Levy

Hello Mike,
The amount of weight over the rear driven wheels needed to provide snow traction really depends on the amount and type of snow you are driving over. Yes, generally, the more snow, the more weight is needed but there is a point of diminishing returns where regardless of how much weight you add in very deep snow, you will not get any or anymore traction (and get poor mileage but that is secondary to not getting stuck). You could, for example, change over to even wider tires where the additional weight will provide more traction.
Franko

No wheel wells in mine as it is straight walled along the sides. I'm sure I could fashion something up to work tho

Cememtn sat int he basement for 2 years now. Not worried about ruining the bags

I just center is over the rear axle. Also, you may want to rethink putting salt back there. As it melts any snow or ice in the bed of the truck, you'll bath your truck in salt water. Not a good thing as far as rust goes.

solid cap onthe bed and it doesn't leak and I got a liner

Oh, I should read the whole post... you have a cap.... Disregard the salt info...

damn Chris.......that is a good idea!!!