weight/towing capacity

I have a 1989 k1500 5.7 L auto long bed. I can't find many specs about realistic weight and towing capacity. I am wondering, if I beef up the rear leaf springs with helpers, can I realistically put a 1100 lb slide in pop up camper AND tow a 1000 lb trailer (small trailer with motorcycle)? I figure the engine and drive train can handle it, I can't seem to find info about the weight. Comments on both issues are appreciated. Thanks

Reply to
Novie

I'm sure in its current configuration, every part could handle it...for a while.

Get a rear-end out of a Z71 or 2500 6 lug(same rear-end(try to find 4.10 and swap in the front pumpkin too)), add a HUGE trans cooler, a HUGE oil cooler, 8+ ply tires, rear springs from a 3/4T, a HD radiator, headers and free flowing single exhaust, a rear anti-sway bar, and an RV cam in the engine.

Simple huh?

Reply to
Shades

thanks for the help...I guess I should add it already had a Z71 and oil cooler. I only plan on taking this on trips less than 1000 miles round trip 2-3 times a year.

Reply to
Novie

Couple of sugeetsions, 1100 LBs in the box is going max. Airbags may help, still would not do it. Towing if I remember is about 4500LB's on a 4X4, that would be tolal GVWR. Why don't you take a look at some of the light weight travel trailers or 5th wheels that have a drop down rear entrance for the scooter.

Reply to
cabopeter

headers

For a long while if it has 3.73 gears in it too. Skip the RV cam as you do not need it for this use at all. I have a 89 4x4 burb with stock tire size and factory HD tow package and I have towed horse trailers and a car hauler a few times (with a 4x4 pickup on it) with no problems. The burb now has 172K on it too. THe 14 bolt 9.5 semi floating rear axle is not a bad idea but it is not really needed at this stage unless you plan to tow bigger loads. ALso do not tow in OD with that tranny because it is not really rated for it and it could shorten its life. Make sure you have a aux tranny cooler too.

Reply to
SnoMan

Look in the glove box. There usually is a label there listing the maximum weight for a slide in camper. I would expect that weight might be about 600 pounds. Adding the springs and helpers might be adequate for the additional weight. And don't forget what is going to happen when you load it.

You should have no problem with the towing but I am not certain about the weight in the box.

Reply to
Rich256

Thanks for all the replies. In the glove box it says slide in camper not recommended with stock equipment. I've seen tons of people do it, I just want to add the right equipment.

Reply to
Novie

Two things you need to do. Count how many rear leafs you have to a side (main leafs and booster) and I will tell you what you need. Tou need to beef up rear tires to with some 6 ply tires at 50 PSI for better stabilty but bear in mind even with mods it will be a bit iffy at best in a 1500 series truck though you could upgrade rear axle as mentioned earlier and add about 1500 lbs pounds of axle capacity to rear with proper springs and tires because the frame in that year truck is strong enough if every thing else is beefed up but the 10 bolt axle you have is about a 3800 lbs capacity unit at best vs the

9.5 14 bolt semifloaters capacity of about 5300 lbs. It a nut shell you need to do a LOT of work or get a 3/4 truck and getting the truck would be easier.
Reply to
SnoMan

Thats my opinion as well. For what you want to do it may be possible with your configuration however just about any stock 3/4 ton set up would be much better and alot safer. The two things that I have been told continuously are, pull what you can stop, and what you can carry without overloading your truck in terms of weight. I would have tried that with my old 3/4 ton but even with an open bed ( which i dont have anymore ) I wouldnt try that with my 1500 blazer. simply not made for that heavy of use at once. If your going to only pull that kind of weight a few times a year invest in an older 3/4 ton truck for a song and use it for the heavy stuff. You should be ok if you only want to pull the trainer, I would forgo the in bed camper entirely.

Reply to
mudmonkey

Thanks guys..I already have the 1/2 ton, buying another vehicle isn't in the cards.

Reply to
Novie