Weird Noise/1997 GMC Jimmy

Hi Everyone, I have a 1997 GMC Jimmy, i bought a few months ago. About 3 weeks ago, i started noticing a squeaking noise, i thought it was just a loose belt or something because it was just a light noise
and i didn't always hear it. Then it started getting louder and louder and now it seems to be coming from the direction of the front drivers side wheel.It stops making the sound when the brakes are used but as soon as i take my foot off the brake and start moving i hear it again. Someone told me it could be a wheel bearing going bad or maybe i need the brakes checked. Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks, Kimberly

You should never "ignore" front end noises, quit fooling around and get it checked promptly.
It could be the brake pads are worn. There is a metal piece on the pads that makes a noise when the pads are worn down. It make a noise like metal scraping on metal. Usually stops when brake is applied.
You need new brakes.

HI Everyone, I just wanted to thank you all for your help. It was the brake pads that needed replacing. The squealing i was hearing was the warning system on the brakes. Thanks agian, Kimberly