Weird Problem

Well i bought a 97 Z-71 about a week ago. It didnt come with a keyless entry so i got a new one off e-bay. All the numbers match and it came with instructions to make it work. Well i did as said, wich was; "Use a paper clip to plug into ports 4 and 8 on the service plug thing". And I did, but my truck didnt respond to the paper clip being in there with the "Click- Click" or door locks that were suppose to unlock and lock again due to the fact that there was a paper clip in the sockets. I want my keyless to work. Why did my truck not respond and go into "Service Mode" or whatever the paperwork said? Do i have to hook up a OBD-II scanner to activate this so called "Service Mode"? If anyone has any info on how to get this thing to work it would be great. Thanks, James

Reply to
James Allen via CarKB.com

I think some paper clips are non-conductive.

Try a piece of copper wire.

Reply to
High Sierra
10-4 i will give it a whirl
Reply to
James Allen via CarKB.com

so i tried the wire...waited about two minutes and my truck dosent respond with the door locks going up or down...does the truck have to be on? has anyone done this before and knows how to do it?

Reply to
James Allen via CarKB.com

Do you have the RPO code for keyless entry listed in the glovebox? Dave

Reply to
dcbryan

i dont know what you are talking about.....the rpo thing? but my truck wont respond to the wire being in the harness is what i have to get by first...i will check to see if there is a code of some sort

Reply to
James Allen via CarKB.com

the rpo's are codes on your truck that tells you what the truck has and stuff like that. its a sticker in the glove box, it should have 1 letter and 2 numbers and 2 letters and 1 number, its always 3 letters and num,bers combo tho. like AU0 and stuff like that. there is a lost of these tho. sorry i dont know what the code is tho for remote locks, but i am sure someone here does.

Reply to
Charles H.

hey i need help people!

Reply to
James Allen via CarKB.com

Have you tried these instructions? I think you're going about it all wrong.

Brandonb

James Allen via CarKB.com wrote:

Reply to
Brandonb

You just bought this truck,right? So why screw around to make things work? Call a Chevrolet Dealer. They will help you. Just curious.How much did you pay for this,and how many miles? I just sold my '97 about 6 months ago.

Reply to
Bill

well i like it when things work right y'know? it has 89000 miles on it, every option except leather. mint condition. it books out at 12,000 and i picked it up for 8000 with a trade that was worth 2000 so i really paid

6000 for it.....it was a really good deal cause the economy sucks and people hare having a hard time getting rid of vehicles on car lots
Reply to
James Allen via CarKB.com

and i called a chevy dealer.....but they wanted to rape me to have it programmed....70 bucks to hook up a scanner, then whatever for labor after that......that is just plain ridiculis!

Reply to
James Allen via CarKB.com

ok....so i tired that guys webpage...still nothing...i am starting to wonder if it is the keyless control unit on the truck itself? if there is such a thing...i also turned on the theftlock feature to see if that would help...no....does anyone have the diagnostic sheets or cd for the truck? ....the guy at the dealership tried everything that i tried....and nothing.....any ideas?.....im cheap and cant afford to go to a dealership...thanks everyone

Reply to
James Allen via CarKB.com

My '97 had 78,000 miles on it. Had all the basics,but nothing real fancy. It was in mint shape. I sold it for $11,500 out of my yard in 10 days.

Reply to
Bill

Do you really need keyless entry? I think I`d just spend the money,rather than screw around forever on something you don`t need. That`s just me though.I dont really have the time.

Reply to
Bill

You don`t really need it,do you?

Reply to