Whaddya guys think?

Page 1 of 3
Fellas,
It's happened three times in a row so I know it wasn't just a fluke. I recently switched from using M1 oil filters to AC Delco oil filters in my
truck. After every oil change, for the first 5 or so cold starts, I get horrendous lifter noise. The lifters won't shut up until I shut the truck off, then restart. On restart it's nice and quiet. Oil pressure in either instance is 60 psi. After the first 5 or so cold starts with all the bloody racket, all is back to normal until the next oil change.
This never happened with M1 filters which I've been using for the past 5 years or so on this truck.
Any thoughts??
Doc

either
bloody
It sounds like you've got some bad lifters. I doubt if it has anything to do with the filters. I sometimes let my truck sit and drain overnight with no plug or filter and I never have lifter noise the next day after I button it back up. OTOH, I can't explain why changing the oil and filter would start the cycle all over again. I would probably stick another M1 filter on it hoping the problem would go away. H

Exactly my thoughts. If it was a bad lifter, I'd expect the racket every cold start, not just the first few cold starts after an oil and filter change.

I intend to, but it still doesn't satisfy my curiosity.
Doc
"Doc" wrote:

No shit, but I want to know why this is happening with the AC filters. Though someone else out there might have had a similar experience.
Doc
I think it`s just a coincidence.Lifters are probably bad,or something else. I`d still try the easy fix and swap filters. Let us all know what you find out.

I wouldn't 'think' the oil filter would cause this but it would be real easy to put a M1 filter back on and see if the lifter noise goes away.
Denny
Make sure you have the correct delco filter. Some filters were made with an anti-drainback valve built in. This keeps the oil system from losing prime and draining back into the pan overnight. The noise you may be hearing is the engine operating hydraulic lifters with no oil pressure due to the fact that it spends time priming the system up again instead of supplying oil to the lifters right away. Its worth looking into. I don't know what engine or truck you have and I don't know part numbers off hand.
--
Jason E.
ASE Master Technician with L1 Advanced engine performance

I don't know about the dealer filters, but over the counter AC-Delco filters are made by Champion labs (as well as the Super-Tech brand filters that Wal-Mart sells). They are pretty good filters in my opinion. Of course, when you compare it to a Fram, ANYTHING looks good.
Napa Gold filters are made by Wix... other than that there are no brands that I know of that Wix contracts with. Like I said, I don't know about dealer level filters, they may be Wix. But at any rate, Wix is one of the best filters out there. All my vehicles get Wix filters.
M1 filters are just too grossly overpriced for me to even bother with them. I'm sorry, but I'm not paying $10-11 for a damn oil filter. Especially since all the test data I've ever seen puts Wix and M1 at about the same level for filtering efficiency... and the Wix costs less than half as much.
-Tony

If this were the case, I'd have the lifter noise every single cold start, not just the first few after an oil change. It is the correct filter.
Doc

This is a tough one.
You should present this problem to Thomas "Think About It" Moats over at alt.trucks.ford.
If anyone knows -- or thinks he knows -- it will be he.

either
bloody
Almost sounds like the oil filters bypass isn't opening until after the restart, but why? And that after several of these occurrences the bypass is maybe staying open or is now opening normal. Did you buy these filters all at the same time and have them on hand? Possibly they are defective. I've used AC Delco filters with out any problems in the past. Buy I've since gone back to WIX filters which I feel is a much better filter.
Doc, I used to cut oil filters apart after my oil changes to see how the filter was actually assembled. Most all filters that I've seen the inside of use a piece of spring steel for the bypass spring. At a high oil pressure the spring should be over come and open the bypass. The WIX filler and probably other high end filters use a spring similar to a valve spring, of course the spring is much lighter.
I highly recommend WIX filters I don't think you could go wrong. I'd be interested to know if changing the filter brand again stops the problem.
Brian
Wix makes at least two grades of filters:
They make the Wix, the PowerTec, they make the NAPA Gold, and the NAPA Silver.
So they make both a first and second line for the private labels also. Just like Facett did when they made hundreds of private lines of filters other than purolator and Mighty. When you cut them apart, the Purolator and the Mighty element were so thisk that it looked like balsa wood.
Refinish King

Finally someone with a decent notion! These were all bought at different times, different stores.

Might just be the cheaper filter has a stiffer spring and needs a few duty cycles to break in eh?

Yeah me too, she's due in a week or so and I'll switch then.
Doc

feel
inside
pressure
of
Cool, keep us posted.
Brian

hey Doc... do you fill your filter before putting it on (like you're supposed to but most of us don't) or just drain the oil, screw it in and put new oil in?
Just wondering if it's taking the new filters time to "fill and pressurize" or something...

Yeah, I fill em' every time before I put them on. Everyone seems to think it's the lifters, but I know it isn't for several reasons:
1. No lifter noise on ANY cold start after the first 5 or so cold starts after filter change. 2. Lifter noise does NOT dissipate even after a minute of running. The only way I can get it to stop is to shut the truck off and then restart it. On restart it's quiet as it should be.
With all the information I provide on here I would have expected people to give me just a little more credit!
Doc
the notion that...

Put some JB shorties on it and a set of glass packs, and you won't even hear that annoying lifter noise.
--
Checkmate
Copyright 2004