what are the symptoms of a dying diff?

my old girl (91 Z71) is about to roll over into 300,000 KM, and she's still going very strong. I do get the feeling that the diff will need rebuilding shortly.

what are the symptoms of a dying diff? the truck drives smoothly, no grinding or anything obvious. But I do get the tell-tale "clunk" on shifts from drive to reverse and back. I also sometimes get the "clunk clunk" that dead u-joints give on slowing down and then speeding up (you know, pulsing the throttle and "clunk clunk clunk")

The u-joints are clean, lubed and tight, so its not them. I'm convinced its the diff....somebody told me to drive the truck until the diff starts grinding badly, then rebuild. I just hate to be in the middle of nowhere during hunting season when that happens!!!

ideas?

LowDownZ28

reitze

could be a worn yoke or worn r&p gears.After a lot of miles the clearances get real loose hence your "cluncking" sound.

Reply to
Bigsister4u2000