what bulbs are behind the dash?

I can't seem to find easy reference to them. Does GM use a typical 194 or

168 type bulb behind the cluster of a 1991 K1500? I've got a couple burnt on the right and cant' see my gas gauge at nite :(

owners manual says nothing...

Hamilton Audio

Check with the dealer but I believe that they are soldered on the circuit board behind the dash.

Brian

Reply to
el Diablo

I was able to find "bulbs, instrument panel" on an online parts lookup and it called for 194's. I'm not sure i've ever seen permanently installed bulbs on a dash before....but I guess there's a first time for everything!

I'm hoping 194 is right!!

Hamilton Audio

I think they are 194 bulbs...I've got the same problem I need to fix on my 92. Hard to read the oil preussure gauge at night...

Reply to
Elbert

Reply to
Cheryl and Rob

they are 194's held in with push in bulb holders (IIRC). I've had my instrument cluster out and apart from my '88 K2500 ( exact same cluster) a few times. they're definately not soldered in.

-Bret

Reply to
Bret Chase

Great! I've got 8 PIAA Plasma Plus 194's coming next week. Any how-to's or ideas on the easiest way to get the cluster out? I know the dash trim (held in place with those large torx fasteners) comes out really easily. From there, what do I look for? Might save me some time in the "figuring it out, trying not to break it" process... ;)

bmoney

Reply to
Hamilton Audio

drop the trim panel under the steering wheel, and unclip the indicator wire from the shifter housing (assuming auto). you'll also need to pull the screws on the HVAC controls and maybe the radio head ( been a while since I pulled mine) to get to the right side screws. if you've got a tilt column, tilt it all the way down and put the shifter in 1 ( assuming auto). the cluster will pull straight out. pull the clear plastic cover off the gauge face ( 5.5mm screws) don't take the cover off of the back of the cluster, it won't do you any good. the gauges themselves pull straight out of the housing, exposing the bulbs.

hth, Bret

Reply to
Bret Chase

My dash lights on my 98 Sonoma are actually 161..

maybe its different for the full size P/Us

Jason

Reply to
Jason Sobol

You'll need PC194 bulbs (4) and (1) PC 161 bulb that's what's in my dash (92 K 1500) with factory gauges but no tach, has.

Decided to fix mine today. The cluster comes out all in one piece, the bulbs are on the rear of the cluster. You have to remove some of the other trim pieces...not a bad job at all considering what some of the dash require.

By the way regular 194 bulbs are different...the PC bulbs have the little plastic socket attached to them, the regular bulbs do not.

I could not get a PC 161 bulb so I'm going to run a PC194 in its place, hopefully it will work without a problem.

I need to look through some of the junk yards for a dash cluster with gauges and a tach, and a new clear plastic cover thats the face of the cluster. Mine is scratched to hell and back. I did not realize how bad it was until I took it off to clean it. Guess the previous owner somehow scracthed the dash by putting something up there all the time...real bad just around the bottom left and right of the cluster..

Reply to
Elbert

Here is an excellent article that will answer many questions. (I didn't write it)

Hairy

crap....the bulbs I ordered today are straight 194 style. Not PC194. And somebody said the PC portion had a plastic deal on the bottom when the straight 194's dont? will they interchange, or is the PC194 absolutely essential?

also about disassembly...seems straight forward enough. as you pull the cluster forward, does it have a ribbon cable or anything that needs to be disconnected? nobody mentioned it..... perhaps it has one of those large male/female sockets that "plugs in" when the cluster is replaced properly?

guess I'm off to the f-in parts store to pay too much for PC194's...

bmoney

Reply to
Hamilton Audio

yep.

-Bret

Reply to
Bret Chase

the cluster has a type of blade type connection. Nothing to worry about when removing. Just make sure the cluster fits snug when you put it back together. A 7 mm socket and the appropriate torx bit are all that you need for this.

Reply to
Elbert