What Do I Need to Remove to Get the Oil Pan Out of a 93 Suburban K1500 4x4?

The oil pan in my '93 Suburban K1500 4x4 is rusty and leaking. My repair manual says that I need to disconnect the exhaust from the manifolds and pull out the front axle. I thought I'd have at it
without doing this, and sure enough the pan is blocked pretty good by the front axle. Is there a trick to this, or do I have to swallow hard and pull the front axle out?
--Rob Siegel
you know, there's a reason that the repair manual says 'pull front axle'
care to take a shot at what that reason is ?

Don't you need to pull the motor-mounts and lift the engine a little? I'd be surprised if you don't. And I would think the starter and oil-filter would be annoyingly in the way too. Of coarse moving the motor may mean pulling the fan-cowling which disturbs the radiator, and the distributor is in the way. Maybe you should consider a junk-yard motor - and keep the old one for a re-build if you likethe burb. Otherwise $150 junkyard motor - $50core is a good deal. Paint the new one before you install it - heat-paint to a few hundered f. Elliott
Rob Siegel wrote:

Drugs may be better than crap from the city... Any size motor you want - but you got to pull it yourself! http://www.garysupullit.com/partspricelist.htm Engine Complete "No Str, Alt, P/S, A/C" $130.00 $25.00 ELliott
Jones wrote:

the

Are you talking about the truck described in the subject line? In that case, yes.....you can pull the oil pan without lifting the engine by pulling the front diff out. On these trucks, you can have the front diff out or lowered in about 10-15 minutes. Not really a big deal.
Two wheel drive trucks are easier, the pan will just slide right out on a small block.
Ian