What is making this happen

I have a 1997 GMC Jimmy 4.3ltr 6cy, sometimes when I turn the ignition, the gauges dont move, the air-bag, check engine,seatbelt icons do not light up. When this happens, the truck will not turn
over. When all the dash lights go on, and the gauges move, the truck turns over. Why does this happen, and what can I do to remedy this?
Thread archive: http://www.AutoBoardz.com/making-ftopict247546.html
could be a bad ignition swith that does not always make a good connection. or clean battery terminals extra good. old john
Hello, Chef! You wrote on Thu, 12 Jun 2008 01:22:14 -0500:
C> I have a 1997 GMC Jimmy 4.3ltr 6cy, sometimes when I turn the C> ignition, the gauges dont move, the air-bag, check engine,seatbelt C> icons do not light up. When this happens, the truck will not turn C> over. When all the dash lights go on, and the gauges move, the truck C> turns over. Why does this happen, and what can I do to remedy this?
With best regards, snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net. E-mail: snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net

I bet it won't shift out of park either...
Ignition switch. 97 seems to be a particularly bad year for ignition switches.
aarcuda69062 turned on the Etch-A-Sketch and wrote:

I'll second that motion!
(I had to replace the same on my '95 at about 110K miles.)