What is the deal with Blazer - S-10 fuel pumps?

I have a 2002 S-10. 68,000 miles and I need a fuel pump. I have been hearing now that this is common. What is the problem with them? My 2000 S-10 had
automatic transmission problems that now I hear are endemic with them (clutch going in and out like shuddering, then the smash-bang shift from 1st to 2nd until you shut it down and restarted it).
Anyone else experience these problems? Are there any recalls in the future? Any hidden recalls now?
Thanks!

There is no "deal" with Blazer-S-10 fuel pumps. How was yours diagnosed as being shot?
Doc

"Doc" wrote:

My 2000 S10 has 77k on the original transmission and fuel pump. My 88 S10 has 170k on the original tranny and went 150k on the original fuel pump and I replaced it because the tank rusted out.
The two different mechanics told me that the fuse for the fuel pump and sending unit blew. They replaced it and the engine ran for about a minute and the fuse blew again. They said that the fuel pump was pulling too many amps. One of them told me that it must be a short, but a short would cause a fire, wouldn't it?
Anyhow, $900.00 is the bill including towing and diagnostics from two different repair places.

They put in a 30 amp fuse and it lasted about a minute longer than the regular replacement. They did replace the filter. I don't know if it was blocked or not.
Rose