What is wrong w/my car??????

I was driving my 97'Blazer all day today until sudden on the HWY it started picking up on speed by it self w/cruise control being off. By the time I made it home, I could not even use the brakes. Even stepping
hard on my brake it kept still moving forwards. My neighbor check the pedal, but was not stuck. He said that something is definitely stuck there, it idles very high. Does anyone could tell me what problem I have here??? There was also some kind burning smell (like metal or so) thanks in advance

If you store a bottle of brake fluid near the cruise control mechanism, and it falls over, it will hold the cruise on...
So I'm told anyway...;>}
No, I have just bought the car like a 3 weeks ago w/out any warranty.
Cricket wrote:

Gunes wrote:

Brings to mind the runaway car in Colorado a month ago. It was a '97 Pontiac. It had something broken in the clutch mechanism such that it could not be taken out of gear but the high speed was never explained and for an unknown reason the driver was not able to turn off the ignition.
aliens maybeee? john

ignition.

Disconnect the cruise control throttle cable from the throttle linkage. Follow the cable from the cruise control module on the firewall to the throttle linkage, then just pop it off. Sounds like the module went south and is jammed on, which will hold the throttle open regardless of where your foot is on the pedal. The burnt smell was your brakes as you probably cooked em' pretty good with all of the excessive pedal effort.
Doc
What is wrong w/my car?????? Group: alt.autos.4x4.chevy-trucks Date: Sun, Mar 7, 2004, 1:33am (EST+5) From: snipped-for-privacy@netscape.net (Gunes) I was driving my 97'Blazer all day today until sudden on the HWY it started picking up on speed by it self w/cruise control being off. By the time I made it home, I could not even use the brakes. Even stepping hard on my brake it kept still moving forwards. My neighbor check the pedal, but was not stuck. He said that something is definitely stuck there, it idles very high. Does anyone could tell me what problem I have here??? There was also some kind burning smell (like metal or so) thanks in advance was the brake pedal really hard to push? if so it sounds like you have a vacuum leak. i would first take the air duct off of the throttle body. then you will be able to look at the throttle plate and see if it is open. if it is jst unhook one cable fromit at a time to determine if it is the throttle cable or cruise cable. as i said i doubt it is either, if so, start the engine and listen for a sucking sound, or look for a hose that's unhooked or cracked. best of luck. -pete

Check for bad engine mounts. On some cars the cruise linkage can jam if the engine shifts to the side. Lynn