What's that ground strap for?

Quick question, what's the ground strap on the back of the engine head for? (passenger's side) Mine's not connected to anything.

Brian

93 CK1500 350 5.7 tbi
Reply to
brianwrites

Should bolt to the firewall or frame. Grounds the engine, and you need to repair it.

Al

Reply to
Big Al

Something I forgot to mention. Without the engine grounds, the negative circuit for the starter is through the U joints and pinion bearings. On some cars and trucks, the negative cable goes directly to the engine block. If that's the case, the ground is to complete the body circuits. Even a slight voltage difference between the engine and body will cause long term cooling system problems.

Al

Reply to
Big Al

You are a bit confussed, that strap is one of several strap used through vehicle to provide a return path for accessories because the battery is connected directly to engine block for return circuit. That strap would burn very quickly if it ever tried to carry starter current. When you have bad chassis grounds for accessories they can do all kinda of strange things as they try to seek a path to ground. SOme vehicle have a small strap from battery negative to body too but most use straps from engine block.

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan

It DOES NOT ground The ENGINE.. The Engine is already Grounded to the BATTERY

It Grounds the CAB... The Battery Ground is Bolted to the ENGINE ... So You need To Ground The Body Via The Engine..

Reply to
tom

Actually it kinda does. It grounds the engine to body/frame for electrical return and electronic noise supression. Grounds are kinda "funny" when it comes to surpessing noise. The more of them the better.

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan

========== ==========

Oh the tangled webs we weave.....when first we practice to............

well.......let's leave it at practice.

00 L O

anywhoooo.........

fact not fiction..........

http://209.85.165.104/search?q=cache:0j9WB3F4XzAJ:

if the links still good..........good if not......oh well....... i'm jest a practice'n technician.

00 L O

~:~ MarshMonster ~sips his mushroom tea..takes a toke...ponders the significance of fact or fiction~ ~:~

Reply to
Marsh Monster