what size speakers do I have?

Maybe would like to replace the factory speakers in my 2001 reg-cab Z71. What size speakers do I have? I don't care for the amp and large box behind the seat thing. I would just like better quality speakers, than the factory speakers. Seems like my passenger side door speaker is busted anyhow and needs replacing.

Reply to
2 Wheels

your answers there.

Big Chris

Reply to
Big Chris

just did mine there 6 1/2's i have the premiunm (or however you speel it ). sound system with separate tweeter. real easy to replace, or it was for me, whith the GREAT help from the ppl here in the group.

Reply to
Charles H.

I guess the hard part is removing the door panel. Anything I need to know before attempting this chore? Will it require special tools? "thanks"

2001 Z71 reg-cab
Reply to
2 Wheels

There are two or three screws you need to remove. I think in the handrest. Once you do that, lift up on the panel (Do NOT pry or pull it off), and lift it partway from the door. Then disconnect what you need to disconnect before taking it completely off. Once you've done that you have free access to your speakers.

Reply to
Rich

and the factory speaker clip in, so you will need to drill new holes to mount your new speakers, not sure of the wire colors for the - or p i used speaker plugs think they were 5 dollars from best buy. BUT remember DONT pull on panel, lift it. you will need to remove cover over inside door handle and thats where the third screw is. for me it sounded real hard when some one here told me how to do it BUT it was easy. good luck. only special tools you will need is if you DONT have power windows, then you will need the tool to remove the window crank. remember to remove the the lock slide thing, it just pops out, and the panel over the inside door hand, and the plastic peice inside by where you out side mirror is. they all just pop off. good luck

Reply to
Charles H.

As the others have already mentioned, the removal of the door panel is super easy, kudos to GM for making it so simple and also easy to get back together without much risk of something not fitting right. However, when I went to remove both my front door panels of my 01 Tahoe, I did find the screws under both to already be stripped from the factory.

If you order new speakers from Crutchfield they will supply everything needed to mount the new speakers. This includes new clip-in mounting plates for the front doors - the new speakers screw onto the mounting plate, then the whole assembly clips right in exactly like the factory speaker. I had ordered and installed 6.5" replacement speakers (which fit fine), but I *think* 6.75" speakers would have also fit.

You can read a lot more > Maybe would like to replace the factory speakers in my 2001 reg-cab

Reply to
Markeau