What were they thinking (92 S-10 blazer 4.3 spark plugs)

Page 1 of 2
I know that this has been posted before but its got to be said again. WHAT THE HELL WERE THEY THINKING, Puting the steering shaft DIRECTLY in the way of the Number 3 spark plug. Hell you need hands the size of a 5year old to
get the damn plug started. Jeez what a pain in the ass. Thank you for letting me bitch
Pull the tire, straight shot in. I had a 94 with the same "problem", but this was the preferred method. I actually did the rear 2 plugs on both sides that way, jack it an pull the front tires. I got a 3 foot extension for just that purpose and it works great.

Yes, my 92 is easy if you go through the wheel area. I don't even pull the tire. Just reach in with a log extension and take it out.
Lannie

I had to unbolt my steering column to get to it, Ihave a 98 Sonoma 4x4 4.3 Vin W so obviously, thru the whole life of the Vortech 4300 V6, the decided to be asses and not fix that problem :(
Jason
Is it really the fault of the engine that GM did this? Yeah, the 2nd-gen trucks need the steering shaft pushed out of the way, I'm not looking forward to a plug change-out on my 2000 S-10, but it can't be THAT hard to move the steering shaft. They tried to cram the biggest V-6 in the industry (anyone know of a V-6 bigger than 4.3 liters?) into a "compact" truck.

Yes, a 350 V-8. I have seen multiples of those in S10's....
~KJ~

Not from the factory...
Offhand I do believe that there have been bigger V6s out there though, albiet none of them from GM (I think).

No not from the factory, it was just a joke.
~KJ~

Ahh... I had no idea. ;o)

there have been the 305, 351E, 351M, 401, 432 and 478 V6's in old 60's GM trucks

WTF are you talking about? The 6-cylinders offered in the 60's were the 250 and 292 (there was one smaller one, can't remember the size). None of them were V-motors, they were all inline. Nuthin' bigger that's a gasser.
Doc

GM
250
them
Hi, Doc. He's talking about GMC only. Most of those sizes he mentions were for full-sized trucks like dump trucks. I used to drive some of them with the 305 and 401 V-6s in them. The 305 in a truck with a 15 ton load of sand was a real dog! Also, there were a few GMC pickups out here in farm country with the 305 in them, but were rare. This was in the very late 60s-early 70s. Dale K.
Re: "Hi, Doc. He's talking about GMC only. Most of those sizes he mentions were for full-sized trucks like dump trucks. I used to drive some of them with the 305 and 401 V-6s in them. The 305 in a truck with a 15 ton load of sand was a real dog! Also, there were a few GMC pickups out here in farm country with the 305 in them, but were rare. This was in the very late 60s-early 70s. Dale K." --------------------------------------------------------------- Last year at the sod farm I talked to a guy with a 1969 (I think) GMC custom camper with a 351 V-6.
FYI: in the 60's in medium duty trucks gm DID offer a 500 ci V6 engine. it was somewhat of a pig, but it did exist. -Pete
Re: What were they thinking (92 S-10 blazer 4.3 spark plugs) Group: alt.autos.4x4.chevy-trucks Date: Tue, Apr 6, 2004, 9:15pm From: snipped-for-privacy@nope.com (Doc)
Yes, a 350 V-8. I have seen multiples of those in S10's.... Not from the factory... Offhand I do believe that there have been bigger V6s out there though, albiet none of them from GM (I think). there have been the 305, 351E, 351M, 401, 432 and 478 V6's in old 60's GM trucks WTF are you talking about? The 6-cylinders offered in the 60's were the 250 and 292 (there was one smaller one, can't remember the size). None of them were V-motors, they were all inline. Nuthin' bigger that's a gasser. Doc
p.s. the smaller inline 6 was a 194 ci. my friend had one in a chevy II
Re: What were they thinking (92 S-10 blazer 4.3 spark plugs) Group: alt.autos.4x4.chevy-trucks Date: Tue, Apr 6, 2004, 9:15pm From: snipped-for-privacy@nope.com (Doc)
Yes, a 350 V-8. I have seen multiples of those in S10's.... Not from the factory... Offhand I do believe that there have been bigger V6s out there though, albiet none of them from GM (I think). there have been the 305, 351E, 351M, 401, 432 and 478 V6's in old 60's GM trucks WTF are you talking about? The 6-cylinders offered in the 60's were the 250 and 292 (there was one smaller one, can't remember the size). None of them were V-motors, they were all inline. Nuthin' bigger that's a gasser. Doc

GM
250
them
take a look http://www.6066gmctrucks.org/Jolly-478v6.htm http://www.6066gmctrucks.org/305V6.htm

though,
Well I'll be goddamned......................never seen any of those before.....................thanks for the education!
Doc

60's
the
I'll further your education. Did you notice the sparkplugs? Look again. They were in the middle above the intake manifold. They were actually in the injector holes, the engine was a Diesel GM converted to run on gasoline. I had one apart in my shop some years back. Had a crankshaft that was giant. The rod bearings looked like mains. They were short on performance and fuel economy but they will run forever. I saw a fire truck once that had two of them coupled together with two carbs and two distributors. I looked in an old truck manual and found it was a common set up. Was called the "Twin Six" and was 702 cubic inches. How would you like to feed that thing? :)
Al