Wheel lockers - Advice needed

I have a '95 3/4 ton 4x4 GMC extended cab and do occasional off road while geocaching.

Problems:

1st time - after crossing a small creek about 12 inches deep, front unit went out, was electrical unit. 2nd time - steep section - had to hook up a jeep to pull me as I was slipping around in the loose dirt/gravel 3 rd time - Slipped off outside edge of road avoiding a downhill motorcycle that would not stop (next time he can go over the edge) had to hook up to pull back on road, then when I got to next 4 point turn that rose about 10 feet on the corner, lost traction.

Everyone else has been doing ok, the question came up about lockers on the rear axel.

I know kind of what they do, but do they help a lot on a pickup like mine?

Are there ones that are better than others?

Is the rear the best place to have installed?

About what does it run in $?

Reply to
JimB

I think on your truck it would be good to get a Eaton limited slip installed in the rear axle housing and consider a Eaton electric lock "locker" for the front. I would not run a true locker on something you drive on the road for the most part.

I don't think there are too many options for "traction aids" on the front axle for that year model truck.

I would install the Eaton limited slip in the rear housing first (as I assume you have no limited slip ) currently installed and then look at the front. I think these units run in the $600 range and its probably $200-$300 for the install. Front end .

There are few "traction aids" for GM trucks with the IFS front end.

Also get a good set of appr>I have a '95 3/4 ton 4x4 GMC extended cab and do occasional off road >while geocaching.

----------- Elbert snipped-for-privacy@me.com

Reply to
Elbert