Wheel lockers - Advice needed

I have a '95 3/4 ton 4x4 GMC extended cab and do occasional off road while geocaching.
Problems:
1st time - after crossing a small creek about 12 inches deep, front
unit went out, was electrical unit. 2nd time - steep section - had to hook up a jeep to pull me as I was slipping around in the loose dirt/gravel 3 rd time - Slipped off outside edge of road avoiding a downhill motorcycle that would not stop (next time he can go over the edge) had to hook up to pull back on road, then when I got to next 4 point turn that rose about 10 feet on the corner, lost traction.
Everyone else has been doing ok, the question came up about lockers on the rear axel.
I know kind of what they do, but do they help a lot on a pickup like mine?
Are there ones that are better than others?
Is the rear the best place to have installed?
About what does it run in $?
I think on your truck it would be good to get a Eaton limited slip installed in the rear axle housing and consider a Eaton electric lock "locker" for the front. I would not run a true locker on something you drive on the road for the most part.
I don't think there are too many options for "traction aids" on the front axle for that year model truck.
I would install the Eaton limited slip in the rear housing first (as I assume you have no limited slip ) currently installed and then look at the front. I think these units run in the $600 range and its probably $200-$300 for the install. Front end .
There are few "traction aids" for GM trucks with the IFS front end.
Also get a good set of appropriate tires.... pure street tires are going to be crap off-road. At least get a set of BF Goodrich All-terrain radials or some type of mud tire if you are in the mud.
wrote:

Elbert snipped-for-privacy@me.com