When to replace Ball Joints?

Just curious as to when I should replace the Ball Joints in my rig. 92 K1500. I assume now would be a good time but I cked them and cannot see any play. I
jacked from the frame and the control arm to unload them, pried up and down on tire with a tank iron. Do these joints have a wear indicator and if so how do you read it.
Is this something I can do myself without any trouble?
Tanks 'JRE

If you tested them and they're ok, leave em' be. If it ain't broke don't fix it.
Doc

On Wed, 20 Oct 2004 19:14:50 -0400, "Mastermech"

When you take er in for it's annual wheel allignment they will check them for you. You DO get the wheels alligned, don't you? -- Best Regards Gordie
I'd wait till the lower one pops:
And the wheel sits at an angle with the inner C-V joint popped out. Better time than any to replace them, so at least my customers think?
Refinish King