Where do I find a cylinder head if needed?

At this point, I'm still not sure if I'm up against a need to replace the head gasket or the entire head on this truck. I priced a new head for the thing and an OEM head is +$700.
A vortec head is around $200 from the same dealer (although, I can't run one of each). The Vortec conversion (complete) is right at $1200.
I thought I had heard of crate engines for good prices a while back (around $1500?). Can anyone offer a location or web site on this?
Thanks, Snowman
Hey Snow, Found this.
http://www.chevy350engines.com /
"Snowman" <somethingorotherdotcom> wrote in message

On Mon, 22 Sep 2003 12:41:41 -0400, "Snowman" <somethingorotherdotcom> wrote:

Snowman....
A crate engine is the best way to go..!!
Check here
http://www.gmgoodwrench.com/PartsAccessories/GMGoodwrenchEngines.html
On Mon, 22 Sep 2003 12:41:41 -0400, "Snowman" <somethingorotherdotcom> wrote:

http://www.paceparts.com/product.asp?3169
"Snowman" <somethingorotherdotcom> wrote in message

Yank the heads and have them magnafluxed. This will show you if it's a cracked head or just the head gasket.+
Doc

yeah, I know. They're at the local NAPA machine shop being checked, magnafluxed - whatever they need. I just wanted to get my ducks in a row in case I get bad news. I don't want to get my back up against a wall.
Thanks, Snowman

what truck?
"Snowman" <somethingorotherdotcom> wrote in message
: At this point, I'm still not sure if I'm up against a need to replace the : head gasket or the entire head on this truck. I priced a new head for the : thing and an OEM head is +$700. : : A vortec head is around $200 from the same dealer (although, I can't run one : of each). The Vortec conversion (complete) is right at $1200. : : I thought I had heard of crate engines for good prices a while back (around : $1500?). Can anyone offer a location or web site on this? : : Thanks, : Snowman : :
'94 K1500 Suburban 350/4L60E

"Snowman" <somethingorotherdotcom> wrote in message

Snow,
Check out the 350 HO @ www.paceparts.com or www.jegs.com it's around $2k IIRC. Also, the base 350 they sell is a 260 HP beastie for around $1500.
Doc

http://www.sdpc2000.com/htm/gmppgaragesale.html
http://www.paceparts.com/store.asp
check these guys out
look at the shipping and core charges, then check out what the local dealer wants..
On Mon, 22 Sep 2003 12:41:41 -0400, "Snowman" <somethingorotherdotcom> wrote:

--
Elbert Clarke
elbert.clarke**@us.army.mil