Where's the number ?

Hi I have a Chevy 350 from about 1983, and before I start scrapping and cleaning grease and oil off of it, can anyone save me some time and tell me the location (s ?)
of the engine serial number ?
Thanks in advance for your time
Felix

Back of the engine, driver's side, just below the cylinder head on the back of the block.
Doc

that's casting number
used to be a small flat area sticking out in front of the passenger's side head with part of the VIN stamped into it
no more, though

back
The front is the right place there is a 3 leter code that tells what the motor is and then a 5 number serial number.