where to put New tires?

I went to Firestone to have my rear tires replaced on my all wheel drive SUV and the mechanic disagreed with me when I told him to take the front tires off and
put them in the back and put the New tires on the front of the car. I thought this was common practice. I ended up buying 4 brand new tires, but I was wondering if I was wrong and what the reasoning is behind putting New tires in the rear.
It actually shouldnt matter as long as all the tire heights are the same.
Cheers

On any SUV, 99% + of the time the power is going to the rear wheels and this is where the majority of tire wear will occur. I've been driving 4wd trucks and SUV's (as they are now called) for over 40 years and I've never seen one yet that wore the fronts out first. Ever.
In rain, tread will effect traction. Who cares in the dry. It is in the wet you want the best traction.

You a surely joking....but I sadly supect not.
don wrote:

tires on an AWD model ??
*Most* AWD units will be damaged by mixing the two. The mismatch in tire diameters causes the AWD unit to be overworked. There may be a few types of AWD that may withstand such mismatch, so consult the manufacturer. (the variations by model are endless !)
New on front or rear, etc makes no difference re AWD unit damage. IIRC, the old rule of thumb was new on front for best braking & steering action. YMMV.
a tree whilst ridin inna park then wrote:

always put the new/better tires in the rear. It's damn hard to control the rear blowout walking you across 3 lanes while you havve a little more control if a front blows out.
Dan

I would much rather have a rear blowout simply because in the front I would loose steering ability.........
a tree whilst ridin inna park then wrote:

I have had both front and rear. Believe me, you have more control with a front than a rear. Somehow, I don't think you have had the expeience of either. Good luck, it appears you're going to need it.
So when you loose your steering and most of your braking power and are heading for that tree - Good LUCK!

When you lose a front tire your steering gets loose anyway. Regards, JR
a tree whilst ridin inna park then wrote:

If you already know everything why are you asking people what to do? You appear to be lacking in knowledge about many things includinf steering and braking. I won't wish you luck, but I will wish the people around you good luck. They are the ones that are going to need it!
Ploink the twit.
Dan

If you only have two new front tires....they should go in the front. Does not matter if you have good traction in the mud on the rear if you hydroplane on the pavement trying to get to the mud hole...
Of course this assumes your truck is driven on the pavement which I'm sure it is, as you made no mention of a dedicated off-road vehicle.
Of course I generally would run far away from a firestone dealer.... ----------- Elbert snipped-for-privacy@me.com

From:
http://www.goodyeartires.com/faqs/Care.html When buying just two new tires, should they be put on the front or rear?
When radial tires are used with bias or bias belted tires on the same car, the radials must always be placed on the rear axle. Never mix radial and bias-ply tires on the same axle. When you select a pair of replacement tires in the same size and construction as those on the car, we recommend you put them on the rear axle. A single new tire should be paired on the rear axle with the tire having the most tread depth of the other three.
http://www.michelinman.com/tire-care/how-to-buy /
bottom of page/watch video
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp ?
Tire Tech Information - Where to Install New Pairs of Tires?
http://www.popularmechanics.com/automotive/how_to/4243992.html
Thank -you very much for the links - I stand corrected in my thinking

You're welcome, those links validated what I'd been trained in over 35 years ago. On a related note I'll add my vote for running from Firestone. I didn't think much of them way back when and nothing has changed my thoughts about them since. On the other hand, if you've had good luck with them, carry on.