which scan tool and PC software to buy?

I'm looking to buy a scan tool to read live data on ODB2.

Must have the ability to connect to windoze PC.

Here are some I've found...are there any others? Any recommendations?

Autoxray is handheld w/ pc connection and does obd1 also

Auterra -
handheld but can connect to palm for extra $100...no obd1 EASE Diagnostics =
with software for one brand of vehicle, must buy $250 software for other brand....no thank you

Reply to
News Skimmer

Look to be fairly cheap and effective.

I'm glad you asked this because I've been meaning to search for the exact same thing--something I could load up on a laptop and that came with some sort of adapter / connector to read the codes. Since I've had the "check engine light" issue with my Saab I've wanted something like this.

Yesterday got the car back from the mechanic. The dealer paid around $600 to have the ignition system (coil pack / cassette) replaced. I drove about 25 miles and the damn light came on again. :-(

~jp

News Skimmer wrote:

Reply to
Jon R. Pickens

Be careful dealing with myscantool.com or gore-research.com (same people) The scan tool I purchased did not work out of the box. They won't do anything about it. So I'm stuck. Out about $100. Now have an expensive paperweight. Also they often don't ship right away(3 -4 weeks) which limits your recourse, with people like paypal. They have NO phone number to talk to anyone.

stuorto

Thanks for this note. I was looking at one of the cheaper versions on that site....Not anymore.

skimmer

Reply to
News Skimmer