Whistle sound increase with the engine rpm.

I need help in determining if I have a bigger problem then I just experienced. I recently had a fan clutch failure which destroyed the radiator, fan, fan pulley, $$$$. The failure happened when the engine was at high (3.5K) RPM, the truck actually rocked during the failure. The problem I have now after the repair is a whistle sound that's coming from the front of the engine. With the fan belt off, the whistle sound increases with engine rpm. Beside the noise, the truck runs just fine. I have done all the obvious stuff so this is really strange to me. I had others listen to the whistle, but they have no ideal what it could be. Did I damage something else? Could the timing chain be making this new sound? Does anybody have any thoughts? 1989 Chevy K1500 with less then 2K mile on the new 383 engine. Thanks Byron Taradena

Reply to
B Taradena

Check any vacuum line near there and the intake air hoses and plastic parts for a break or leak. A small opening in either one will cause a whistle that varies with RPM.

Reply to
Steve W.

My neighbour has a whistle in his 1980 350 Suburban that helps us hear him coming way before you can see him. My guess (and that is all it is) would be the water pump.

-- Regards Gordie

Reply to
The Nolalu Barn Owl

Water pump runs off of the "fan belt" as he calls it, properly referred to as the serpentine belt. If it's making noise with the belt OFF, the water pump isn't spinning, hence it couldn't be the water pump making the noise.

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

When does it go from fan belt to serpentine?

~KJ~

Reply to
KJ

AFAIK, 88' was the transition year from v-belts to the serpentine system on full-size trucks. The older style trucks usually ran the water pump and PS off one belt, alternator and water pump off the other (dual groove pulley on the water pump, 2 belts).

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

AFAIK, 88' was the transition year from v-belts to the serpentine system on full-size trucks. The older style trucks usually ran the water pump and PS off one belt, alternator and water pump off the other (dual groove pulley on the water pump, 2 belts).

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

don't forget the cheesy double pulley on the PS pump that carried the belt for the AC in the second groove

Who the f*ck thought up that abortion

Reply to
Gary Glaenzer

Bwahahaha! That was late 70's and early 80's IIRC?

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

Guess that answers it. Kind of thought of the answer after I posted. I meant more like "how could I look at something and get the right name?"

My thought is, once it turns back on it's self, it's now a serpentine belt.

I think your right about the year, a friend of mine had an 87' blazer with fan belts, and I have an 88' S10 with serpentine.

~KJ~

Reply to
KJ

on the Burbs, at least, 88 was a transition year.............a mix of V and Serpentine

plus some had regular water pumps and some had reverse rotation, bepending on the belt arrangements

Reply to
Gary Glaenzer

If it has ONE belt that runs everything, it's a serpentine belt. If it has more than one belt, they're V-belts.

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

Maybe 87' was the transition year for belts the FS trucks then, as the burbs were always a year or so behind the trucks.

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

A V-belt looks like a Vee.

My wife's 86 fs truck has a V-belt for the power steering and a multi-vee (often called poly-vee) belt for the alternator. It became known as surpentine because of the path the belt takes. The serpentine belt uses a belt-breaker adjustment pulley instead of the old fashioned way of moving the alternator or power steering pump to adjust the belt.

Anyway, I thought it might be the water pump on my neighbour's truck but he swears it is a leak in the exhaust manifold. You would think the noise you might hear wouldn't be a whistle if that were the case. Must be catching because my wife's truck has a faint whistle now too.

Maybe a vacuum leak?

-- Regards Gordie

Reply to
The Nolalu Barn Owl