wht kinda mpg should i get 4.3

i have a 02 chev blazer 2wd 4.3 lt auto with k&n air filter and after market exhaust stock wheels tires wht kinda mpg sould i be looking to get any one know thnaks

BAIN15

Reply to
dan baker

Well the 4X4 02 Blazer I have gets about 18 mpg if driven hard and 22-23 highway.

Reply to
Steve W.

I live in Queens NYC my stock 01 Jimmy gets 13 city 20 highway

Reply to
Double Tap

On Wed, 31 Oct 2007 11:09:30 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (dan baker) wrote:

Lets get a few thing straight here, a K&N is not going to improve your MPG with a fuel injected engine because its mixture is controlled by ECM. In theory with a carb it might marginally because the mixture of a carb is effected by the pressure differentail accross it. (unless it makes a lean engine leaner and reduces efficency more) Also your engine in your 02 is tuned to intake and you disrupted that tuning. Next on the exhaust. Duals typically reduce MPG around town because you do not want exhaust to escape too quickly from cylinders at lower RPM's because it is the pressure for expanding gases that drives piston down and makes power and you do not want presure to drop too quickly. At WOT you might gain a few HP from filter and exhaust at higher RPMs but at the expense of lower RPM efficency. Again, modern engines are well tuned on intake and exhaust from factory and if it was that easy to gain usable HP and MPG they would come that way because Detoit is under pressure to get good MPG for fleet averages with LD SUV's. Your money and effort would have been better spent on higher octane fuel because that engine needs more than 87 to do its best. It has a generation 3 knock control system that keeps you in ignorant bliss by masking/quelling spark knock before you hear it by retarding spark (you really cannot use the old adage that if it is not knocking, it is being feed properly) but this reduces MPG and power potentail. BTW, all EPA MPG tests have long been conducted with 93 octane fuel (it is clearly required in test proceedures) but they are not required to tell you that on stickers. You may not need 93 all the time but likely atl least 89 or 90 to do its best because 9 to 1 plus CR and 87 does not work unless you retard the spark at times. The "only" reason that there is a knock sensor on your engine is tolet it tolerate 87 octane fuel and limit consumer complaints about fuel knock while stealing efficency. One more thing octane requirements increase with tempature so you need more octane in summer (which means more aggressive spark retarding with 87) than winter. Because of this I tend to use 93 in summer and 89 the rest of the year. Try it and you might find that MPG gains may more than offset extra fuel costs (it does for me) but even if it did not I still would use it myself because my cars run better on 89 or better fuel.

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan

snip

This is among the biggest pile of horseshit I've seen on usenet in years. The *best* exhaust at all rpm's is a tuned exhaust.

If you ever gave a real thought to the geometry of an engine crankshaft and the amount of power a piston can impart to the crankshaft near the bottom of the stroke you'd put your head between you knees and throw up for having written the above.

After which there's more embarrassment once we start discussing all 4 of the strokes.

The cost analysis performed by manufacturers as a matter of routine is way beyond the scope of your abilities.

Crapola again.

"It might seem odd that fuels with higher octane ratings explode less easily, yet are popularly thought of as more powerful. The misunderstanding is caused by confusing the ability of the fuel to resist compression detonation as opposed to the ability of the fuel to burn (combustion)."

Read the entire page over and over till you understand it.

> It has a generation 3 knock control system that keeps you in

Some day you might want to attend a nearby community college of your choice and take a few courses on things like the Carnot cycle.

That's probably going to be too difficult for you but you might consider some courses involving the theory of operation of internal combustion engines, and the calculation of horsepower of the theoretical engine.

Please don't even try to tell me you've taught such a course.

more snippage

More crapola.

The reason for a knock sensor is to allow the engine the earliest possible ignition timing for a given set of circumstances.

snipped balance of embarrassing comments.

I see why your critics are so adamant. Do the world a favor by avoiding the urban legends you promoted in this posting of yours.

Reply to
nonsense

Yes your newgroup name says it all. "NONSENSE" because that is what you usually post. That engine is tuned to expect certain intake and exhaust tuning for best efficency. (intake lingth, runner size, cam timing and so on) and troll mechs like you think you can get out a torch or saw and cut off exhaust and improve efficency. Aftermarketers are getting rich of you guys and laughing to the bank. What works best on a drag strip or race track on on street for city driving is to completley different matters but narrow minded troll such as yourself does not understand this. BTW a tuned exhaust is going to do best at a certain RPM range and suck at others and the only thing tuned about aftermarket exhaust is the name because they are not tuned for street other than maybe noise tuned and this noise tuning lets them call them tuned.

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan

Actually "nonsense" is what I often reply to. Your blather doesn't even achieve the higher nonsense status, it is merely horseshit.

You continue to show what an idiot yo really are.

Every engineering design decision is a compromise. Talk to the people who actually design the stuff rather than taking the word of someone just as ignorant as you in a hot rod magazine. Here's another hint. The girls are there to distract you from the real facts. Keep ,looking at the girls. Do what you do best.

Bwahahahaha. Yer mama wears combat boots. That's the kind of discussion you seem to understand.

You've been eating the yellow snow again and the brain damage shows. No wonder they call you the snowman.

As one feller said about someone else just like you, "he knows what he knows......"

Just so you don't get the wrong impression, a tuned exhaust is supposed to suck! :-)

You still think that fuel with an octane rating of

89 has more energy than fuel with an octane rating of 97?

You don't understand internal combustion engines. You're one of them thar "parts changers", not a mechanic at all. Usenet would be better off without you.

And now I'll restore my entire posting, the one that you cut all but one sentence out of, below. It is best if the archives show you to be the dunce you are all in one spot.

nonsense

No the nonesens is your because you know more than engineers that design, tuned and built them

Yes you do show how like knowledge you realy have about IC engine theory and operation. You knowledge is twist the key and step on gas and use cheapest gas you can find and also take a torch to exhaust and tune it too.

Actually the engineering done on those is for best overall efficency until nuts like you get in there with wrenchs and torches and fix it and then they wounder why MPG sucks at times. You just cannot begin to understand that caputring energ from expanding gasses fron a controlled burn make a engine run, do explosions nor does retarded spark from retarded operates using low octane fuel help either but given your limited mental capacity you cannot begin to understand this. Real knowledge scares the snot out of you.

Again comment you would expect from someone as impared as your are mentally.

Aftermarketer get rich off of fools like you because they want to beleive that there is a magic fix for engine to raise MPG a lot and boost power too. If it existed, it would come with it.

Yes you really know nothing other than what is in your troll manual....

Tuned duals that they market with a lot of hype do suck on street unless you drive with foot in floor and wind it to 5000 rpm all the time (maybe you do?) That engine expect a little back pressure but you are smarter than Detroit it seem who has a lot on the line for max engine efficency while you just have your mouth and ego on the line. I would love to see a dyno test before and after of some of these mods (one that is not WOT max RPM but street related at lower RPMs and fuel flow is monitored too. You would be in for a surprize because it does not help there

You realy are clueless are you. Such a dumbass. It is not about energy ding a ling, it is about resistantance to preignition and burning rate so that peak compustion temps and pressure are reached at the correct piston/rod to crank angle for maxium power transfer and efficency. Low octane fuel that you love and think is the holy grail requires serious retarding of spark to lower peak pressures to prevent mixture form detonatiing (this is what octane does fool) Whay am I explaining this to such a clueless fool though?

No you are the parts changer fool. I actually studied IC design and theories many years ago in college when persuing engineering degree and even wrote a few papers on it to improve efficeny (got 'A's" on them) I did this to expand my knowledge of a hobby. I am one of the few here that FULLY understands thermodynamoc priciples of a engines operation and efficency and purpose of octane relative to CR, tempature, load, altitude and humidty. Since you do not understand it is scares you so you try to discredit what you do not undewrstand. YOu do not come here to help, you come to cause trouble and satifiy the insecurity that you feel about your own limited abilties. Maybe you should get a diesel as there is only one fuel for it so you cannot get that part wrong.

Knock yourself out as I know this is how you get your kicks. So sad...

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan

ok well thanks for the info anyidea how many gal gas tank they came with??

BAIN15

Reply to
dan baker

Reply to
nonsense

You had 2 replies for the 4X4 version, 18 city, 22-23 highway.

Reply to
nonsense

Lawl! Wasn't nonesens (nonsense) sticking up for or defending snoball a few months ago? I've been away so I missed the part where snoball pissed him off but we all knew it was inevitable. Snoball enjoys condescending everyone even when he's wrong and nonsense is the type to be pissed off at everyone reguardless. Too funny.

----------------------------------- :::::::::Snojob Follies::::::::: SBJ: Dumb brake question

SBJ: Front wheel bearings-2000 Blazer??
SBJ: Snoball Defense System v1.01

Heatwave

Still smarting are you?

Reply to
nonsense

on Friday 02 November 2007 10:46 am, someone posing as nonsense took a rock and etched into the cave:

Too funny.

By the way, getting back on topic, my '95 Jimmy SLE 4x4 with the 4.3 averaged 18 city and 21 highway.

I added a K&N CAI at around 100K and that did absolutely nothing to my mileage.

Reply to
PerfectReign

On Thu, 1 Nov 2007 16:41:46 -0700, dan baker took a five minute break from flipping burgers at the local fast food joint and scribbled on an etch-a-sketch:

One.

They came with one tank.

Reply to
Perfect Reign

I don't know if this helps but on my '95, the gas tank is 20gal(3.79) =

75.8L (I think that's about right).

Take care, Andrew.

Reply to
AWN

15mpg city 20mpg highway
(has not let me down yet) Don't start thinking now you're gaining fuel mileage simply by throwing a K&N in and someone in a spam email told you it would give you extra mpg...
Reply to
Picasso

WOW!!!!!!!!!! This mindless bs is too good to snip.

With all the crap the Idiot post's this slipped by.

We have not heard this claim in about a year at alt.autos.dodge trucks. At that time the Idiot did what he always does when pressed to answer some of his bs, he ignored the question.

So Idiot, how about you tell us where you were "persuing" the engineering degree where you "(got 'A's" on them)". Or are you going to duck the question again.

Reply to
Roy

His school's name was "Joe's Chop Shop".

Reply to
nonsense

on Thursday 01 November 2007 04:41 pm, someone posing as dan baker took a rock and etched into the cave:

Hmmm....got an email today:

Let's see...

Ahh, webtv users - the shortbus riders of the internet.

Reply to
PerfectReign