Why do you let things get personal - quit the flame wars already!

Yes, these personal attacks really get old! I agree with the above. It does not matter who the individual is..... all the stupid name-calling and related personal commentary helps no-one.

Does not matter if you been here one day or 10 years.... or if you've never posted one msg or you've posted thousands...

Last time I checked none of us were perfect and I believe we all make mistakes along the way.

How about posting your opinion without the personal attack / name calling/ inferring that one is stupid or ill-informed / etc.........

----------- Elbert snipped-for-privacy@me.com

Reply to
Elbert

What are you talking about? 87 octane? I drive a 6.1 Hemi, prior, a diesel. Why would I have any interest in 87octane?

Once again you avoided the V10 sensor. No surprise.

Reply to
Roy

At this ng it may be a few times. At the dodge group it is constant.

That is a point we all can agree on. Well said.

Reply to
Roy

No, I and a few others take every chance to point out when you post wrong or dangerous advice or information. As I said before you don't read a thing when you are correct.

Reply to
Roy

If it calls attention to a person who gives wrong, foolish and at times dangerous advice or information, I'd submit it does serve a purpose.

Regards those who support the actions of above described person, I could care less what they think.

That is very true and most of those who make a mistake correct it. There is one person who does not.

Sorry you are offended Elbert, but at times you have to call a spade a spade.

Reply to
Roy

I don't look at it as I'm offended, more like aggravated with the whole scenario. I believe most of "us" here have been around a couple of decades at least.

While I do admit I use to be a mechanic, that was about 20 years ago, when I decided there were easier ways to make more $$. Since I only work on my own junk now and I don't practice this "art / science" for a living I tend to ask questions here and from friends who are still active GM shop mechanics. I also look around on the net at various other forums / web sites. Sometimes I even look in the shop manuals for information :)

The basic principle is that I'll ask a question here and maybe someone gives their opinion on what I'm doing or asking about. Now as you well know sometimes there is more than one way to approach things and since this is a Internet forum we are not looking at the truck / vehicle with first hand knowledge, furthermore you have to trust that the information from the original poster is accurate and that he or she presents the problem is an fair and unbiased manner.

I would agree that sometimes technical / engineering knowledge is a case of black and white and either it works or it does not. And the manufacture designed a component or system to work a certain way and there are systematic methods for failure analysis.

So I may ask a question with a certain answer in mind or maybe my background gives me some insight into the solution, but I want to bounce the question out "there" to see if someone else thinks the same or has some better insight into a good solution.

If someone takes the time to answer my question, I'll read it and see if in my mind it makes sense. IF I disagree I may follow up with a more detailed question and explain further any details. I'm not going to call the person who posted a reply some kind of dumb@**, nor am I going to tag along on every post they make with some kind of derogatory statement.

Do you guys call the radio station or TV station every time someone says something you don't agree with? Do you write your regional / local newspaper every time you see something that does not agree with your position?

Most car magazines, shop manuals and other medium have review processes before the data goes out in the public domain. Well as we all know that's not the way it works here. Now where you have people who don't want to admit they are wrong...well I consider that issue their problem and not mine.

If I become aware of something I said in "print/ Internet" was wrong I'll usually follow up my comments with a correction to the best of my ability and given the knowledge I have at that point in time.

Normally if I don't think what you are saying / writing has any merit after a while I'll either: (1) not listen to your comments, (2) not read your written statements, (3) not place any value on your information.

What I generally don't do is: (1) call you stupid, (2) get into some kind of name calling exercise, (3) make a habit of running around the Internet posting comments that you don't know what you are doing, (4) engage you in any kind of dialog.

Don't get me wrong.....If you direct comments to me personally I'll address those as the need arises, as some who may have followed this newsgroup know / have read.

Anyway....all the above aside.... Why even go down the road of continually expressing your views on an individual's comments. If you don't like / agree with what you have read....then just move on or post the correct information without the personal comments!

I read this forum to learn new things and maybe here and there, to help someone out if I think I may know the answer to their problem. All this "side-bar" crap is just plain stupid, and a waste of everyone's time.

I would invite you and others to use the same kind of judgment.

----------- Elbert snipped-for-privacy@me.com

Reply to
Elbert

I agree with a goodly portion of your post and don't see the need to respond to each point. Allow me this. A person who is a novice ask's a question and is given incorrect information that if acted upon can result in a broken part and a personal injury.This what has inflamed most regards sno. These are not isolated incidents, there has been a ongoing pattern of false and misleading information from him. A novice does not know any better and the result .... That what has brought this to where it is now. This has been occuring not only here but at numerous other ng as well. All one has to do is use google and it becomes evident. As with stuff I have no interest in reading or stuff I find "a waste of time" I use the "delete" key. Others put the author into a "kill file" so none of the author's post's are shown. I'd invite those offended or troubled to avail themselves to the aforementioned remedies.

Enjoy the game!

Reply to
Roy

Well though out post. The problem arises when someone who doesn't know a thing about repairing a vehicle and is given false or dangerous info.

For instance. One post I remember was about brakes in a small P/U. The Owner wanted to know if it was safe to block off the rear brakes and drive it daily that way since it was "too expensive" to repair it.

Some of the answers posted said that NO it was a very dangerous thing to do and could get the person killed or worse they might kill someone else. The suggestions were to get it repaired before using it.

However a couple of the answers were about how to crimp off the line using a set of vice grips or a hammer and driving it daily that way. When this was questioned the poster backed it up by saying that he had done it a few times and it never caused a problem. That the people saying it wasn't OK were wrong. That they didn't agree with him just because... They were loons, they didn't have his experience, they just don't know.

Now using the above posts/answers. Would you say it was a flame to question the poster who advocated crimping off the lines and just driving it that way? Maybe it was a flame to ask about why he had done so?

What would YOU have said?

Personally if the advice given is OK and may work without killing or endangering others, No problem. Regardless of who is posting the info. I have been wrong a few times myself. If some one shows me where I'm wrong GREAT, that means I learn more. For instance I agree completely with Snomans opinion on K&N filters being a LOT of hype and that they do cause problems in some applications. I have seen it first hand on more than one occasion and would not use them on an engine I wanted to last.

I disagree with him on his statement that a 400CID crankshaft is a drop in item on a 350 block, There being a .200th of an inch difference in size on the main journals. Is this my opinion. NOPE. Grab a book and look up the specs from GM, or measure a few hundred crankshafts. His reply

Also has a factual problem due to the fact that GM, NEVER made a 400 crankshaft in the smaller diameter. Is it a flame to correct this error? I don't believe it is.

What I consider to be a flame is this reply from Snoman

Reply to
Steve W.

Big snip>>>

If I may, for everyone's info jump down to the tread entitled "Cat Replacement" dated 1/31/07 to see how thing's arrived at where they are today.

Reply to
Roy

Nobody is saying "do not post good info", or "do not correct someone"

- Hell, if you have BETTER info, by all means, let the world know about it in your posts! If you think the person is posting something wrong, post alternate information - nobody here is going to have a problem with that, in fact they would probably appreciate it.

But posting just to call someone an idiot ... not very productive, nobody finds it funny, and like I said you are wasting people's time. Roy, how many times have you chimed in just to call someone an idiot? You'd earn more respect if you just posted a well thought out post with good information.

For example, here are contrasting way to post a reply:

A post that would command respect and gratitude from other members, and build credibility - "I don't agree, in fact that may not be safe. Instead, you should "

A post that shows people you disagree, but you want to be rude without restraint - "You're a total idiot. Stop posting wrong information, and GFYSM"

For some reason, Roy is intent on defending the need to call people down in this public forum. I honestly wonder what kind of guy he is in person - is he this rude to people on a regular basis? If so, he is likely leading a very lonely, solemn life, often wondering why people don't respond very well to him. Perhaps he really is a nice guy in person, with proper manners and a genuine likable character, but when he gets on the internet where he 'feels' anonymous, his true colors start to show and he gets some kind of kick by calling people down. Roy, please tell us - why is it that you cannot just post information here in an adult manner, without name calling and making fun of others that are posting? Indulge us. Why don't you have the same basic abilities of manners and restraint that the rest of us have?

Sorry everyone, I know I should not feed the trolls, This will be my last attempt at reason, and I already know the outcome - Roy is going to call me names or something just as childish.

Reply to
SuperDave

Just curious SuperDave, do you always strive to be this politically correct???

Denny

Reply to
Denny

When dealing with sno you quickly learn that being nice and polite does not work at all. What has worked in other groups is harsh, very critical comment's.

You seem to have this hang up on wating peoples time. Look at the length of the sermons you have posted. Numerous paragraphs to say that you don't like my post's directed at sno. .

As often as sno post's wrong or dangerous info.

Which brings to mind a question. Do you have the ability to pick up on sno's bs? Or are you content to sit by and let the mis info be used by a person who dosen't know any better?

Earning respect as I told you before is not my goal.

No, not in the least, there is no need to defend.

I'm the same here as I am anywhere else. I'm a wonderful person who has absolutly no patience with those who constantly continue to post wrong info or info that can injury a person. Let me add that I've no use for those that condone those actions.

No need to, you have the message. But I'm going to miss your verbose post's that say next to nothing.

Reply to
Roy

He just thinks of himself as a super wordsmith. Takes him forever to get a thought out.

Reply to
Roy

Perhaps if dave asked he might answer.

Reply to
Roy

You'd have valid points -if- Snoman weren't such a hypocrite.

Even by casual observation, it is not hard to see instances where he advocates one thing and then in practice does the exact opposite. i.e.,

1) He rails against diesel engines citing that they produce unfair amounts of NOx yet he admits to setting the ignition timing on his own truck(s) 10-12 degrees advanced above what is listed on his VECI label. (a violation of federal law) 2) He claims that people shouldn't second guess the engineers that designed these vehicles and do or use anything alternate yet he admits to using illegal hydrocarbon refrigerants in the AC systems on his truck(s). (a violation of federal law) 3) He'll call someone who has tens of thousands of hours performing service and repair as a professional a "shade tree" yet freely and openly admits to making amateurish modifications to a component in order to facilitate a shortcut in a set-up and assembly procedure. (violates that which you are advocating here)

This is just three examples, see if you can find others. (you will if you know what you're looking at)

The guy is a self absorbed under achieving crackpot, and he abhors the fact that there are professionals here who will call him on it.

Reply to
aarcuda69062

Roy, It seems like ole Snojob is suffering from the same thing that Budd has. CHUAS!

Reply to
azwiley1

That's very nice, and usually that's how a person is dealt with..."early on". After a while, the accumulated amount of bullshit from someone like Sno gets to be a bit too much.

What you are seeing is the absolute disdain some of us have for his type of "advice". He does have some good info, I would certainly never argue with his expertise in areas like snow plows....and if I ever wanted to use one, buy one, mount one on a truck...I wouldn't hesitate to ask him some questions.

But in many mechanical areas, he's simply way behind the times, living in the 70's, or in "shade tree" land.

Reply to
shiden_kai