why does my 2000 silverado2500 belt tensioner squeal?

every morning when i start my truck the wheel that keeps the tension on the serpentine belt squeals until it warms up(5 minutes). heres another one-- every once in a while i will turn off the truck run in a store for a few minutes and then it wont start--with all the doors shut i get a "security" message--i also notice that i dont hear the fuel pump running. I have tried wiggling and removing the plugs to the sending unit on top of the gas tank.

Reply to
r8rdavelouden

Greetings,

  1. Either the belt itself needs to be replaced, the tensioner pulley needs to be replaced, or the idler pulley needs to be replaced. All are easy, straight-forward things to do and can be done at the same time with limited mechanical skills.

  1. It's most likely not the connections on the fuel pump, but something ECM related. If the ECM senses a security issue then it won't activate the fuel pump so I'd stop fooling with it. Try using a different remote to unlock the doors and/or a different key to start the truck. Beyond that you will have to have the computer scanned to see what is giving you the security warning.

Cheers - Jonathan

Reply to
Jonathan

If your 2000 has a lot of miles, replace the tensioner assy, idler pulley, and belt, all at the same time.

As stated above, if you have a Security issue, don't fault the pump or connections yet.

James

Reply to
James1549

Replace the belts if they are more than a year old. I was ready to replace the idler pulley but tried the belts first. It cured the problem completely. I also changed the short belt on the ac compressor. Neither belt looked bad but they obviously were.

Reply to
Mport

My 200 Silverado 1500 would leave the security light on even after the truck started. It would only do it occasionally. I finally had it happen at the dealership and they replaced the ignition switch in the steering column and the problem never happened again. It was a good truck and wish I still had it.

Reply to
Silverado