Will GM follow suit?

Navistar pickup towers over offerings from Hummer, Ford - Sep. 13, 2004

Reply to
Remo

why would they? H2 is arguably the biggest POS on the road today. not much more than a suburban on steroids (weak ones at that). H1 was a solid unit but when they started marketing it to soccer moms and wannabe weekend warriors they screwed it all up.

all you H2 lovers will hate this. H1 lovers will say, "see, i told you so."

Texas Legend

Doesn't Ford build an F750 that is similar to that except I don't think it had a pu-truck bed just a fifth-wheel.

Texas Legend, I won't argue with you at all about the H2 being a glorified Suburban. I worked on the exhaust system and it is identical to the Suburban except for the Tail-Pipe including the axle clearance and spacing. But I sure do love their comercials. They must have a massive advertising budget. The kid with the Hummer Go-cart and the new transformer one. They are just great.

Corey

Reply to
Corey Scheich

i agree, their marketing department is cream. when your trying to sell poo-poo you have to have creative minds and big pockets.

Reply to
Texas Legend

funny, Navistar is just taking money from themselves in a way, since they provide Ford with the PowerStroke Diesel engine (and working as a lube tech/mechanic myself, if you look on the valve covers of a Ford F250/350 with the PowerStroke diesel, it says right on it International Navistar....but in the places I worked, you cant get a new CXT in there LOL) I, as a Chevy and somewhat of a Dodge truck person, amd very glad to see Ford loosing something on the Commercial end of things :)

GO INTERNATIONAL!!! LOL

Jason

Reply to
Jason Sobol

GM offered something similar built on the TopKick chassis a few years ago. Didn't do much because all the people who wanted a TRUCK for hauling thought it was a joke and the wine and cheese crowd thought it was too BIG

Reply to
Steve W.

Reminds me of a picture of a "Ford Super Duty Extreme" I saw..... Basically an F650 with a full sized box bed/dually.

GMC Gremlin

Reply to
GMC Gremlin

I saw one yesterday....its a TopKick cab and engine w/ a Silverado bed on it

Jason Sobol

since Ford's diesels are International Navistars, I bet thats where the idea came from....

Jason Sobol

Why in the world did CNN assocaite that truck with Hummer??

They are nowhere near each other in intended duty.

People are being stupid about this truck. It's a freakin' heavy equipment hauler than can carry more than three people in it.

-marc

Reply to
Marc Westerlind

Ford owns International, so they are not losing anything.

Reply to
Trey

They said they only plan on selling 50 this year. Not exactly a big number.

"We can see it as a vehicle for business people who want to make a distinct impression. For personal use, it's for people who want to make a statement." Or maybe bussinesses or contractors would buy them. I had a truck that got

6mpg like this one does, I hated to drive it since I would have to fill it. No thanks! Make a Dakota, Ranger, or Tacoma with a little 200-250HP diesel and they will have something!
Reply to
Trey

I thought it was just a partnership

so The Fraud Motor Co. wins anyway :(

that blows

Jason Sobol

Since when does Ford Motor own International/Navistar?!?

Reply to
xeonpro

they don't... just like they don't own Cummins (another popular rumor).

-Bret

Reply to
Bret Chase

Really? And does Dodge own Cummins, because they use their engines. This is the situation with ford.

GMC Gremlin

Reply to
GMC Gremlin

nope, Cummins owns Cummins, they just have a supply contract w/ DiamlerChrysler for Dodge trucks. According to Cummins' website they are actively seeking out new contracts... even ones that directly compete w/ Dodge.

Ford has the same setup w/ Navistar... it's just a supply contract for their DT433 (7.3 Powerstroke) and their VT365 (6.0l Power stroke) engines. Ford has used International/Navistar for diesel engines for more than 20 years now (starting with the 6.9l IDI diesel, then the

7.3 IDI before the powerstroke).

-Bret

Reply to
Bret Chase

Ford owns Mazda, Volvo, Jaguar, Land Rover and Aston Martin, along with their ford and lincoln and Mercury line up.

Reply to
Kiel Uyttenhove

Oh one more thing. International owns Navistart engines. So if you think about it, Ford Superdutys that have a powerstroke are using an International Engine.

Kiel Uyttenhove

spelling error on my part. I ment "Navistar"

Reply to
Kiel Uyttenhove