Will GM follow suit?

Page 2 of 2
Steve W. wrote:

My parents had a 1976 LUV truck, pop the hood and it says "Isuzu" on the valve cover. Is was a tough little truck. They took it in to get it smogged and the tech said "that is the the OEM engine! I cant smog this truck, it has an illegal engine in it." funny, the same (completely stock OEM Isuzu enigne) had passed smog every two years for that past 20 years before that point.

The Cummins is a great engine, what would prompt them to change? they ahve a HUGE Ram/Cummins following. Does the Merc Diesel have comprable output? If they put the Merc Diesel in the Dak then I would get one, the Diesel would at least make up for the new ugly design they have inflicted on the Dak.

which have GM and Isuzu as equal owners. so to say they're a GM diesel is both right and wrong. the relationship is very similar to what GM and DaimlerChrysler have in New Venture Gear.
-Bret
GM offered something similar built on the TopKick chassis a few years ago. Didn't do much because all the people who wanted a TRUCK for hauling thought it was a joke and the wine and cheese crowd thought it was too BIG
--
Steve

"Remo" < snipped-for-privacy@charter.net> wrote in message
I saw one yesterday....its a TopKick cab and engine w/ a Silverado bed on it
Reminds me of a picture of a "Ford Super Duty Extreme" I saw..... Basically an F650 with a full sized box bed/dually.
GMC Gremlin

since Ford's diesels are International Navistars, I bet thats where the idea came from....
Remo wrote:

Why in the world did CNN assocaite that truck with Hummer??
They are nowhere near each other in intended duty.
People are being stupid about this truck. It's a freakin' heavy equipment hauler than can carry more than three people in it.
-marc
Remo wrote:

They said they only plan on selling 50 this year. Not exactly a big number.
"We can see it as a vehicle for business people who want to make a distinct impression. For personal use, it's for people who want to make a statement." Or maybe bussinesses or contractors would buy them. I had a truck that got 6mpg like this one does, I hated to drive it since I would have to fill it. No thanks! Make a Dakota, Ranger, or Tacoma with a little 200-250HP diesel and they will have something!