Wipers come on when using turn signals

Hi All, I have an 89 S-10 pickup and a 91 Blazer that both have the same problem. Most of the time the wipers come on when I use the turn signals. I hear this is a common thing and was wondering if anyone can
help with any info. on what it takes to fix this. Thanks for your help. Ray
On Fri, 26 Dec 2003 20:06:45 -0500 (EST), snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net wrote:

    I would suggest two things: 1. A good sense of humor 2. Be thankful that your cruise control doesn't turn itself on spontaneously and attempt to resume 70 MPH.
Mine does.
All the time.
Really put the wiper thing in perspective for me.
Jeff
hahaha! Sorry to laugh, but you made that sound hilarious.
That would drive me crazy, besides being dangerous as hell
-- ---------------------------------------------------------------- Ed Murray Certified Locksmith My Enthusiast's Website: http://www.crooked-ridez.com

On Sat, 27 Dec 2003 19:25:50 GMT, "Crooked-Ridez"

    I didn't want to seem to make fun, but the wiper used to drive me nuts, until the cruise problem started. Now I don't even notice the wipers anymore. Its all a problem with cheap "wonder wands" (turn signal stalk just doesn't give that device justice, its trule a Wonder Wand). Its practically inevitable in all cars that use them, but I think the problem is aggravated in S-class trucks cause they're bouncy.
    I have learned to be creative when explaining the wipers. My favorite so to try and convince my passenger the car has an automatic rain detection system that is malfunctioning. A broken fancy feature doesn't seem as bad as a broken basic feature. Since its really bad on dirt roads, I've also tried the "don't want dust to settle on the windshield" explanation.
    The cruise control problem isn't so bad. The brake still overrides it. There are even some benefits. You learn not to follow too closely (I have never rear-ended anyone in the truck, so it must be working), and it really cuts down on those naps throughout the day (I drive my S-10 Blazer for a living). The sleeping was dangerous, the spontaneous cruise control is exciting.
    I truly enjoyed it the day I lent the truck to my girlfriend, and I had to explain the problem so she would watch out for it. Her eyes just got bigger and bigger.
Jeff
snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net wrote:

I don't know how to fix it, but I have the same problem with an 89 S15. I always assumed the turn signal/wiper stalk was worn out due to age and when you use the turn signal the wiper contacts in the stalk made contact. Just a guess though.
Not to make light of your problem but I had a 89 Blazer that did the same thing. I just quit using the turn signal. No... really, This is how I cured the problem.... I sold it.