Wiring a electric brake actuator on a 97 GMC K1500

I need to find a way to get the signal coming out of my brake light switch going to the brake lights to install the brake actuator for my trailer and I can see the wires and brake light switch above the steering column but I"ll be dammed if I can work on them up there. There"s got to be a better way. I tried locating it with a test light but no luck yet. I tried to remove the brake light switch and bring it down where I can work on it. Has anyone done this yet

Reply to
tomrooster

Not sure if they have it for your year, but they do make a plug in connector for that, try jcwhitney or possibly summit. Other than that you can try taking some dash panels apart, it's a pain in the a$$ but it can be done.

Reply to
89GMC

A Simple "Wire Tap" connector on the correct wire will work. If for fuse block has a tail lamp fuse, test the side pin (should be a accessory wire slot near it), or test across the fuse. If it only gets power with the brake peddle depressed a simple spade terminal, or a "Fuse Tap" and Spade Terminal are all that is needed. Charles

Reply to
Charles Bendig

They make the plug for 2000 and newer only as far as I can tell. I called GMC dealer and went to UHaul

Reply to
tomrooster

The fuse will be on the hot side of the brake light switch I need the signal after it leaves the brake light switch. If there is a place to put a simple wire tap that is what I need to know. Thanks, Tom

Reply to
tomrooster

Reply to
calhoun