Wiring a electric brake actuator on a 97 GMC K1500

I need to find a way to get the signal coming out of my brake light switch going to the brake lights to install the brake actuator for my trailer and I can see the wires and brake light switch above the
steering column but I"ll be dammed if I can work on them up there. There"s got to be a better way. I tried locating it with a test light but no luck yet. I tried to remove the brake light switch and bring it down where I can work on it. Has anyone done this yet
Not sure if they have it for your year, but they do make a plug in connector for that, try jcwhitney or possibly summit. Other than that you can try taking some dash panels apart, it's a pain in the a$$ but it can be done.
89GMC wrote:

They make the plug for 2000 and newer only as far as I can tell. I called GMC dealer and went to UHaul
tomrooster wrote:

    A Simple "Wire Tap" connector on the correct wire will work. If for fuse block has a tail lamp fuse, test the side pin (should be a accessory wire slot near it), or test across the fuse. If it only gets power with the brake peddle depressed a simple spade terminal, or a "Fuse Tap" and Spade Terminal are all that is needed. Charles
The fuse will be on the hot side of the brake light switch I need the signal after it leaves the brake light switch. If there is a place to put a simple wire tap that is what I need to know. Thanks, Tom
Sold my 97 so I can't tell you the color. You have to probe the bundle under the dash. Find the wire with power, only when the brake pedal is pushed. Now turn on the flashers/blinkers. If wire stays hot all the time that is the one to tap. If it pulses try another one. I had to try several till I found the correct one. I think you will find the fuse will pulse with the blinkers.

I got it thanks. Tom