Wiring for electric brakes (Blazer)

I have a '96 Blazer that I use to pull boats and utility trailers. I just acquired a trailer that has electric brakes and want to hook therm up.
My current wiring connector is the standard flat 4 prong. The new trailer
has a round 6 prong connector. When I initially spliced in the flat 4 prog connector, I noticed that there were 2 extra wires in the cable. I assume (but an not sure) that they are for the brakes and break-away battery charging.
Can anyone tell me what I need to do to connect the electric brakes? Do I need a brake controller?
Thanks.
Chuck
Chuck Jurgens wrote:

Yes, you need to install a brake controller. It will have a blue wire that is to be connected to your trailers brake feed wire. Rather than spicing I have seen adapters that plug into the 4 wire connector and have terminals for connecting the other needed wires.
:I have a '96 Blazer that I use to pull boats and utility trailers. I just : acquired a trailer that has electric brakes and want to hook therm up. : : My current wiring connector is the standard flat 4 prong. The new trailer : has a round 6 prong connector. When I initially spliced in the flat 4 prog : connector, I noticed that there were 2 extra wires in the cable. I assume : (but an not sure) that they are for the brakes and break-away battery : charging. : : Can anyone tell me what I need to do to connect the electric brakes? Do I : need a brake controller?
Yes, as others have stated, you will need a brake controller. You can get a harness adapter like one of these. http://www.etrailer.com/finder_adapter.asp?vwO&tw=6R
Chuck Jurgens wrote:

Considering two points in your post, 1. 96 Blazer and 2. Do I need. You should consider the size of the TT, it's weight, number of axles, and your knowledge of setting up to tow any thing. Don't forget you are not the only one out there on the road, you have a responsibility to keep other people safe as well as your self. You cannot obtain any of the information here, with out much more knowledge about the trailer. Chuck, to do it correct you must first know the Blazer is not a camper tow vehicle.
--
BILL P.
Just Dog

WOW. FYI Mr. Boyd, many states require brakes on any trailer over 1500 or 2000 lbs., WELL within the safe towing capabilities of the vehicle in question. Properly equipped, that truck is rated for around 5,000 I imagine, I had a late-model S-10 with the same drivetrain rated at 5500. Now, I'm not saying I'd tow that much, but GM says it's safe. Wheelbase vs. trailer length is what to watch out for with the S-series.
ALSO, he NEVER said it was a TT, it could be a landscaping trailer with brakes on it, or a small pop-up camper (I've towed one that has brakes, my family has had 2 others with brakes). If you read the ENTIRE post, he does mention that he's towed with this vehicle before, so don't be so quick to jump on someone about proper towing. The boat trailers had brakes on them I bet, just not ones with in-cab controllers, they use surge brakes on the trailer tongue.
Chuck Jurgens wrote:

Check out the Tekonsha Prodigy inertial brake controller at $125... Very good electric unit.......
You will need a special Dash Cable & the 7 pin round plug at the rear bumper..
Some trucks are a 12 min job if partially pre wired... IF not pre wired in part... You may have a Project to do..

I recently purchased the Draw-Tite Intelli Stop online for $66 (it's the same unit as the Prodigy)...which is in my opinion a great deal.